When Life Gives You a Lime

When Life Gives You a Lime

Wow, there is so much to learn about photography! I’ve been playing around with my camera this week using the Scene Intelligent Auto option, but as I progress, I want to be able to use the manual function. The Scene Intelligent Auto function produces good basic photos, but the manual function allows you to make your own adjustments.

While YouTube is not a new online source for me, I thought it would be best to get more acquainted with my camera and learn about its different features. I used a couple of different YouTube videos like Canon T7 Tutorial For Beginners – How To Setup Your New DSLR and Exposure Explained Simply – Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO. I found these videos helpful and learned about the different buttons on my camera. 

I played around with the aperture, shutter speed and ISO to take several pictures (see test photos of highlighter). These features that change exposure affect the light, focus and background noise. This is something that is going to take some time getting used to! After watching the video, I played around with the different settings to better understand what each exposure function does. Here’s a tutorial that explains exposure in more depth. I’ve bookmarked this page cause I’ll need to re-read most of it as I venture on. 

Another feature I learned about is that I can connect my camera to my phone. Thanks to the advanced technology of Wi-Fi, I can easily access the photos taken on my camera now. This will make it simpler to post pictures to my social media accounts and this blog after taking photos on my DSLR camera.

Take a look at this photo I captured the other morning of the foggy sunrise out my back door. I can’t wait to share more pictures I take with my Canon DSLR camera each week as I develop my photography skills. 

4 thoughts on “When Life Gives You a Lime

1. I’ve always heard many of the terms you mentioned especially shutter speed and exposure but never really understood what it meant. The photos you provided of the highlighter demonstrating the effect of shutter speed really helped me to see why those things are important and the differences they make!

2. Hi Ashley,
    I read your blog to know about how your photography journey is going. I really enjoyed some pictures you’ve shared in your blog, they were awesome! It was a huge difference in both pen pictures, but the misty tree picture was done nicely!
    It was interesting to learn about different features about your camera and how to play around with different features.
    exploring more and I’m anticipating exploring your photography skills.

3. Hi Ashley,
    I read your blog to know about how your photography journey is going. I really enjoyed some pictures you’ve shared in your blog, they were awesome! It was a huge difference in both pen pictures, but the misty tree was done nicely.
    It was interesting to learn about different features about your camera and how to play around with different features. I’m anticipating exploring your photography skills.

4. Hey Ashley,
    Thanks for sharing this post! I always find it interesting on how many different types of elements and techniques that is required when taking photos. In high school I took a photography class and I can remember that it is complete process in taking photos. Just curious, as you progress with your photography journey was type of photos do you think that you are going to enjoy taking the most?