Planning Ahead: Life Transitions 30 x Digital Citizenship Scope and Sequence (Final Post ECI 832)

When one plans for a journey, there are many levels of emotion, creativity, and careful consideration that go into each leg. I started out at the beginning of this course with excitement and anticipation (as discussed in my first post, Setting My Feet Upon New Paths.)

I have grown over this course in developing a deeper understanding about the importance of digital citizenship and use of media. These concepts are integral to developing students who are prepared to take on the challenges of the 21st century workplace.

It is important that our students feel like they can competently navigate the environments that exist online. They should be learning how to interact professionally and personally with others, how to apply learning skills to new tasks or tools, and how to protect privacies and rights for themselves and others.

For these reasons, I chose to develop a digital citizenship scope and sequence that also met outcomes and indicators in the Life Transitions 30 curriculum. A major resource used to support my artifact development was the Digital Citizenship in Saskatchewan Schools (2015) policy planning guide.

The purpose of Life Transitions 30 is for students to develop lifelong skills for achieving and maintaining a positive self concept and lifestyle. Throughout this course, students will learn how to adapt and grow with change, develop positive relationships, appreciate diverse perspectives, and establish habits for healthy living. They will acquire skills in effective workplace and personal communication and learn how to become aware and responsible consumers. They will build upon their understandings of the financial and personal responsibilities and obligations that come with living on one’s own. 

Digital citizenship is an important component that overlays each of the content areas within Life Transitions 30. The Digital Citizenship Guide (2015) highlights, “the importance of teaching digital citizenship to our students in order to meet goals and outcomes and to prepare students to be productive, responsible, and contributing members of our global society. Educators can no longer ignore their roles in helping students to develop as digital citizens; schools must respond to the changing needs of our learners in order to prepare them for our rapidly changing world” (p. 12).
Excerpt from Patricia Ives’ Scope and Sequence

My first planning post, “Transitioning into Effective Digital Citizens,” outline the reasoning behind my choice. It also set out some possible steps for development. As often happens when we plan for travel, some steps were more challenging than others.

I searched out exemplars for other scope and sequence documents and researched potential digital citizenship online resources that would be relevant to Life Transitions 30. I quickly found that the majority of resources were geared towards elementary and middle years. There were high school digital citizenship resource that would work. However, adult resources are not as prevalent. Fortunately, I was able to locate a sufficient number of resources that would work. As I move forward, I look forward to continuing a deep dive into other possibilities. Maybe this is an unexplored avenue for future development?

I moved forward and developed a Google Form to elicit ideas from other educators on possible inclusions for each Life Transitions 30 unit. I posted this on Twitter and emailed it out to my colleagues. There were enough responses to move forward. However, the response rate was not as robust as I had hoped. I would love to hear some suggestions on how I could encourage more participation next time! Any ideas?

I proceeded down my path of discovery and created a concept map of potential ideas and possible structural formats. These led to the formation of my seemingly-endless draft documents! Over the last couple of weeks, I reached out to my fellow students, co-workers, and adult basic education colleagues to find individuals willing to share some of their time in reviewing my ideas and drafts – multiple times. I am incredibly grateful to those who provided encouragement and suggestions at this stage of development – Carolyn S., Pat P., Stacy C., Bart M., and Leah T.

Patricia Ives’ Life Transitions 30 x Digital Citizenship Scope and Sequence

LINK TO THE SCOPE AND SEQUENCE DOCUMENT:

Welcome to the end of this path. It is time to settle down in my coziest chair and enjoy the soft rainfall outside. I invite you to click on the link to view what I have created.

Patricia Ives Life Transitions 30 x Digital Citizenship Scope and Sequence.xlsx

Posted in Major Learning Project, Uncategorized, Weekly Reflections | 10 Comments

Erasing the Box: Summary of Learning (ECI 834)

When I walked into this course, I had the hope that I would be able to build upon my prior experiences with the Brightspace LMS and find ways to move out of my “comfort box.” There has been a huge shift in my understanding about blended learning environments. The edges of the “box” are falling apart with the end result that I am engaging students in a wider variety of collaborative learning opportunities through rich communication strategies and outcomes-based projects. Seeing the excitement in my students’ faces and the increased levels of engagement have added value to all of the effort that I have put into developing a multi-level and diverse learning classroom environment.

When students are motivated to learn, they will be active participants who are moving into new territory. Students will move around the classroom, whether online or face to face, with renewed vigor, becoming content creators or curators for materials and other media that can be used to drive learning.

Teachers can create safe, wide-open spaces that encourage creativity and individuality where learning is driven by student interest. This is my ideal classroom that I am striving towards. My journey is heading in that direction with erasing the box and stepping out of my “comfort box.”

I invite you to explore my Summary of Learning to view my learning journey over the ECI 834 course. Thank you.

Posted in Summary of Learning, Weekly Reflections | 6 Comments

Breaking News! – Summary of Learning (ECI 832)

When I was considering which courses to sign up for this semester, I was drawn to learning more about digital citizenship because I felt that this was an under-explored area in my professional development. There were some limited ways that I had encouraged students to review their digital footprints in the past. My explorations have shown me that there are many rich continents of learning with new languages and diverse cultures. I feel like my eyes have been opened to the possibilities and encouraged me to continue travelling along this path. Much like Alice in Wonderland, I am amazed by all that I see and excited to discover the strange wonders that lie ahead.

Our readings over the semester have inspired me to examine my understanding of digital citizenship and deeply reflect upon how I can be be a steady guide for students as they begin to travel the new pathways. I strongly feel that educators need to actively model the actions and behaviours while also verbalizing the metacognitive processes that we should all engage in when interacting with all modes of media.

Lovepreet shared an article by Henderson, Auld, and Johnson, “The Ethics of Teaching with Social Media,” which shines a spotlight on vital considerations for all educators who are encouraging students to use social media.

Henderson, Auld, & Johnson

ECI 832 has had tremendous impact upon my current and future interactions engaging with students on digital media, teaching students how to engage respectfully and analytically with media, and exploring the embedment of digital citizenship in curriculum. For further review, I invite you to enter my exciting journey through my Summary of Learning.

Posted in Summary of Learning, Uncategorized, Weekly Reflections | 6 Comments

Grabbing the Finish Ribbon – Final Course Prototype (ECI 834)

Taking the initial first steps into exploring a new LMS, Canvas, I thought that I would be able to take my experiences developing content on Brightspace and transfer them to the new arena. It turned out that I was partially correct. There were some ideas that I had about what I “might” be able to do based on past knowledge, but it still took lots of exploration and watching of instructional videos to develop my modules and course to the levels that I wished to attain.

I chose to develop a course centered around Psychology 30. The curriculum had undergone some recent updates, so the materials that I developed would be useful to me in my Brightspace course. (According to some research that I have done, I should be able to export my Canvas course into my Brightspace. Hopefully, this will work!) One of the newer units for Psychology 30 is Biological Influences on Development. When I started out, I had a wider scope of modules laid out.

Course Profile Blog Post can be accessed via this link.

However, after my course was reviewed by my peers, I realized that I needed to scale back and focus on what I had initially termed to be sub-modules. These had so much content that I ended up making them modules on their own. Each module would take approximately 1.5 to 2 weeks to complete. Course Review Feedback Blog Post can be accessed via this link.

Again, I scaled in for my final course prototype and focused on fully developing the lessons within Module 1: Stress and Childhood Trauma. There are a total of six sections/lessons. Using the advice of my reviewers, I attempted to be more explicit with my instructions and outlining the steps. I added pre-requisites that would ensure students would review my Starting modules first before accessing other content. This would be something I will continue to refine. For the purposes of my final review, I did not add all of the pre-requisites that I will put in later on.

I realized that there were elements missing in my Module and lessons that needed to reflect a variety of formative and summative assessments. I added in Entrance Tickets, Review Note handouts, Google Slides/pdf to cover needed content, instructions for the Small Group Jamboard activity, and an outcomes-based Exit Review. I am happy with the variety of learning activities that I have developed. They are diverse and include active learning with movement, individual tasks, small group tasks, and active discussions. Students who would like to utilize the Closed Captioning and transcript features have been given instructions on these features during the lesson walkthrough videos. Students who are absent from class or who need review due to accommodations or for other reasons may access the lesson walkthrough videos.

How to Access the Course on Canvas:

This course has enabled open enrollment. Students can self-enroll in the course once you share with them this URL: https://k12.instructure.com/enroll/6BRGLW. Alternatively, they can sign up at https://k12.instructure.com/register and use the following join code: 6BRGLW

Once you have self-enrolled, you will need to go to https://k12.intrastructure.com and log in to locate the course again.

Walk-Through Video for Final Course Prototype:

Posted in Major Learning Project, Uncategorized, Weekly Reflections | 3 Comments

Walking the Fuzzy Boundaries – Ethical, Moral, & Legal (ECI 832)

Every spring when the thaw comes, I like to go out and hike in the woods. As I slog through the muddy sections in my rainboots, I am reminded of how difficult it can be to find a clear and easy path through any exploration – be it through a forest or through educational aspects of internet and social media use. These muddy paths in the real world exist in many areas of life and ways of understanding. For myself, one of the ways that I personally develop understanding is by relating what I am learning to other areas of knowledge. The commonalities help me to build definitions and create structural concept maps for complex knowledge. In this manner, I have taken my muddy walks in the forest and applied this to digital citizenship and other ways of knowing.

In my Chemistry 30 class, we discussed fuzzy boundaries in developing an understanding of electrons. It is impossible to know exactly where an electron is located, because everything is changing and moving constantly. In the world of internet and social media, what we know and understand are constantly changing as well. The changes that we experience underscore the importance of building digital literacy throughout a student’s life. I believe that schools and educators have a duty to provide a strong foundational base for students that encourages growth and respect in all aspects of life, including digital citizenship.

Amanpreet shared in her blog post, “Technology advances are speeding up faster than adults can understand the ethical implications of their use, according to the Alliance for Childhood. Children learn ethics more thoroughly in face-to-face interactions, especially at developmental ages, which is becoming increasingly rare due to screen time distractions.” She also raised relevant points about how we provide education for students on the regulations surrounding driving, drinking, and voting. Key parts of enhancing and encouraging student self-efficacy are raising awareness and teaching respect for the laws and regulations surrounding proper use of technology and copyright laws.

As Bart pointed out in his blog post, educators need to consciously consider the purpose behind what they are choosing to post and reflect upon their online behaviours. This was reiterated in the article shared by Shristy, “Ethical Issues with Using Technology in the Classroom.” In the article by Study.com, it discussed the importance of educators establishing clear boundaries in their communications with students. There are many implications surrounding privacy, confidentiality, and ethical behaviour. It can be difficult to know where the boundaries are at times.

As I stated in my previous post, “Rise and Tweet,” I have strived to be over-conscientious out of respect for students’ privacy, respect for personal right to information, respect for my employer, and respect for myself.

Ethically and morally, I believe that educators should behave in a manner that upholds the profession. In our professional and personal lives, we should be aware that we are role models and act accordingly. We can and should still enjoy our lives, but in a way that respects the laws and promotes responsible actions. If I have disagreements with others, there are diverse and legal channels to pursue civil actions. If I make mistakes, I behave responsibly and take steps to make amends. In my classroom, I am more aligned with a restitution model that promotes the understanding that we all make mistakes and get the opportunity to do differently.

Legally, I am aware of and follow the regulations that my employers and the law have in place to protect the rights of students, families, and teachers. Privacy and confidentiality are at the forefront of my mind when I post anything for or about students. Even within a closed framework, I am aware that others are able to view my online interactions. If a student is texting personal information that they may not wish for others to know about, I will remind them that the counsellor is available at the school for face-to-face conversations. When other students ask me about a student’s absences, I gently remind them that I will not discuss personal information for any students. The items that I have posted are with my adult students’ permission, but even then I try to not show faces or give names. I strive to be better at following copyright law. In my first years of teaching, I did not have access to many copies of textbooks. So, I photocopied more than I should have done. Over the years, I have learned more about fair use and what is allowable. This knowledge has helped me to improve exponentially! With students, I frequently share my thought processes surrounding ethics and legality of online information. Using a think-a-loud process is a great way to model digital citizenship during informal moments.

Posted in Uncategorized, Weekly Reflections | 11 Comments

Rise and Tweet – A Day in the Life (ECI 832)

“Beep-beep-beep,” the insistent tones of my alarm wake me far too early. My desire to sleep in wars with my awareness that I have many items waiting for me on my daily to-do list. Reluctantly, I reach out for my phone and turn off the alarm. Before I leave the cozy embrace of my warm blankets, I start my day with what has become my favorite ritual habit, “Wordle.”

After taking a few moments and waking my brain up, I shift into “awake” mode. I make my coffee, let my fuzzy old dog out to take care of business, and start to get ready. While we are eating breakfast, I grab my phone again and send quick greetings and check-in texts to my boyfriend and other loved ones. I like for them to wake up and see a message from me asking about their days and letting them know I am thinking about them. It is more than just a hello; I ask about events that I know are happening in their lives. If they have time, we exchange a few updates. Otherwise, I log into my school texting app and check for messages from students. Sometimes I send out a cheerful greeting to let them know that I am looking forward to seeing them today. I check my twitter feed and catch up on some tweets or send one out if I scroll across an interesting read that I like or want to re-tweet.

Looking up at the clock, I see that it is time to go. I put the phone away and grab my multiple computer bags, checking for all my cords and other necessary tools for getting online once I get to school. It’s a pleasant 30-minute drive with the sun rising over the horizon earlier and earlier each day. I often vary between enjoying the silence or listening to an audio book or podcast. It really depends on what I feel in the mood for that day.

Getting to the school, I greet everyone and set up my WebEx meetings for the week. Every class has remote students that join me and my face-to-face students. I place my headset on, get my Jabra ready, and prepare to head into another exciting day of learning. My Smartboard and headset have become my friendly companions lapping along beside my heels and following my instructions. They are tools that make my day easier to navigate.

For all that I do online each day, I am conscious of my boundaries and respect for student’s boundaries.

Dylan shared an article from Van Streun who cited Nias (1999) in discussing the six components of a culture of care. I strive to be over-conscientious when considering my student’s rights to their digital identity. To this end, I do tend to keep what they create within an LMS space. They have made blogposts and participated in discussion forums, but those stay within the classroom. Any items or images that I do share have been discussed with the students, and I take care when sharing faces, using names, or posting other student-created content.

Throughout the day, we all participate in discussions, play Quizziz or Kahoots, read/watch CK-12 content, and take part in hands-on learning. It can be a challenge to ensure that my remote students are active participants and not just passive viewers. This is something I am really working on. Some of them are slower to share ideas, so I am trying to find ways to develop more engagement. In Canadian Studies, the conversations around current news and fake news have been vibrant (see my past blog for more details.) I am starting to realize how often I have in the past not done nearly enough fact-checking for content that I have passed along! Like my students, I am learning and developing stronger skills at fact-checking for truth and biases. It’s like a set of muscles that we all need to develop and strengthen. The more that we use them the better we will be at doing these “sets.”

Last week, my Biology 30 class participated in synchronous experiments. We did these side-by-side and talked about what we were doing and seeing. It was a fantastic shared experience. After I edited and cropped photos, I shared a couple of these on Twitter. This was received well with likes and comments, but I was also reminded that everything I do as a teacher is under observation. I received a positive comment from the Vice President of Academics and a “like” from the Program Head. I had known that they follow me on Twitter, but it had become “out of sight, out of mind.” I am glad that my personal philosophy about social media has always been to only say and act in ways that I normally would in person!

At lunch, I take a few minutes and make a video for my students in Chemistry class who are struggling with some of the concepts about electrons. I use my SmartNotebook and WebEx record myself before putting this on Youtube and share it on Brightspace LMS.

At the end of my school day, I log off my computer, pack up, and head home. It’s time to make supper and play with my pets. I will probably call my family, then talk with my friends. I might make some time to play video games with my boyfriend. (Lol! Might is an understatement. We usually play on the PS4 in a private chat each night.) Before bed, I will read on my Kindle or listen to some music on Spotify.

At the end of it all of this, I wonder how typical my day is compared to some other people’s days. I am a physically active person who does unplug and plays boardgames, spends time with friends, goes dancing, skiing, hiking, or kayaking, and enjoys those times.

I am also a digital person who spends much of her days online. I don’t think I can define my identity in one box. My personal, professional, and digital lives are more blended and a part of who I am versus separate aspects. I feel balanced and aware that my personal health is my focus. When I take care of this, then I can put my best self back into my relationships with others, both online and in-person.

Posted in EC&I 832, Weekly Reflections | 10 Comments

Course Review: From First Steps to Steady Running (ECI 834)

From childhood with our first steps, we look to others for feedback on how we are progressing and gain guidance on how to improve. In many ways, I feel young again looking for those positive comments and guided critique. Thank you to my reviewers, Myla and Leona! Your steady hand in mine is providing me with the feedback that I need to strengthen my steps in building a student-centered and relatable course.

The reviews addressed three areas of the Course Shell, Overall Course Structure, and the Course Profile. Overall, I had positive feedback that reflected well upon the time that I have spent trying to develop cohesive modules. My past experiences developing Brightspace courses aided me in this, as I had experiences understanding what I am able to do with an LMS. With Canvas as a new LMS, I had more of a learning curve to climb. Even though I knew there were some transferable features, I was not familiar with how to set these up in Canvas. Fortunately, there were many videos on You-tube shared by teachers to provide a supportive learning environment!

Course Shell:

1. Setting up students to access the course content had some hiccups that we eventually ironed out. In my review, Myla asked if students would be added automatically by the institution. The answer to that is an affirmative. Because I was setting this up for self-enrollment, there were a few more steps to take. This process would be much easier if this was an institution setting students up for access.
  2. Both reviewers suggested walkthrough videos for how to use the LMS and how to navigate through the course content. Although I did have a walkthrough video available on the site, it appears that I may need to be more overt in reminding students that this would be the place to go before anything else. (If you want to see what it looks like, check out my blogpost: Join Me – Course Update or view the video embedded below.)

In Brightspace, I am able to set up conditional elements that ensure students will access certain portions of a course first. I am going to check and see if this is an option with Canvas as well. I will also add more directional bullet-point comments on the first page to inform students to do this as their first step.

3. A suggestion was to change up some of my visual elements and look into re-naming some of the “buttons” that I created. Thank you! This is a very helpful suggestion that I will definitely put into place.

4. There was a question about the Big Blue Button tab which takes students to an area where they would access the virtual meetings. Yes, I did set up virtual meetings. Unfortunately, this does not show up unless I have started the meetings. This tab will be staying. I did address this and discuss it with students in my Walkthrough Video.

5. Some really positive comments on the use of the discussion forums, overall layout, inclusion of the outcomes/indicators, and on the variety of content materials and activities.

Overall Course Structure:

1. “You have included lots of variety in your modules to engage students.” “There are readings, videos and activities sprinkled throughout the module, which creates variety to keep students interested. The activities are also within the modules and easily accessible, even ones that use external links.” Both of the reviewers found the variety to be engaging. The intention is that this reviewed section would take approximately two weeks to complete.

My classes are always hybrid-synchronous, so students do receive daily instruction verbally in what they need to complete. Additionally, I post weekly schedules in the announcements area outlining what students need to complete each day. For each section, I create walkthrough videos that are between 5 -15 minutes long that provide guided review of the content.

After reviewing Corrin’s course, I plan to develop checklist in Google docs and add these to my outline as one more way to help students stay on track with what they need to complete.

2. “It looks as though you have access to an online textbook source.  This is a nice touch. What is this resource – I would be curious what science resources the company has? ” Thank you! This has become one of my favorite resources, and it has many science and math resources. CK-12 is a free online resource for teacher with interactive flexbooks (textbooks). I use it for Biology 30 and Chemistry 30 as well.

3. “The numbering system is helpful but I honestly am a bit confused as to what it is I’m supposed to complete with everything that is posted in the module sections.  How do students know what is expected of them.” This is a great critique! Just because it makes sense to me doesn’t mean that it will make sense to students. I will be looking at my organizational system and reviewing how I have items structured. Canvas is a more limiting in this area than it would be in Brightspace. It is easier to create content under one area in that LMS. Still, I will continue to explore ways that I can make this easier for new learners.

4. “I think one way to improve student experience is by giving instructions, written or in video, on how to use Flipgrid.” Another great suggestion on how to improve the student experience! Although Flipgrid is fairly user-friendly with instructions built into the tool as you use it, this could still present a challenge to students prior to use. If they are concerned about using it, seeing it in action can reduce any anxiety about trying out something new. I will add a video illustrating how this can be used in this assignment and others.

5. Some positive comments! “

You have done a great job of connecting Outcomes (Indicators) with your modules and your modules have good flow in order to complete learning objectives.  Well done!” “I really like how organized the course content is.”

Course Profile:

1. The comments under this category were all on the positive end.

“You have done a good job of identifying expectations of the course.  I feel like students will be able to easily follow along with some guidance. It is also a possibility that another teacher even picks up and uses your course.”

“I really liked Patricia’s introduction and her positivity just shines in her course profile. The course profile is easy to follow. “

“The course profile matched what I saw on the course shell.”

Closing Comments:

I am grateful that the reviewers took the time to thoroughly go over my modules and make suggestions that I might not notice as the creator. Students who are coming into my class may be new to using any type of LMS, and anything I can do to make the process more student-friendly will make a better learning experience for everyone in the classroom and learning community. I will take your comments and hopefully make some adjustments that will clear up the pathways to learning. Thank you!

Posted in Major Learning Project, Uncategorized, Weekly Reflections | Leave a comment

Major Project Update! Life Transitions 30 Scope & Sequence (ECI 832)

Our digital citizenship course has shaken up everything that I thought I knew! In reality, my prior view of what we should be teaching for digital citizenship was limited. Perhaps that same limiting vision is something that our students experience as well. It is easy to fall into a trap of thinking that we know more than we do. It takes new experiences to help us realize that there are broader applications and that digital citizenship extends its roots deeply into all areas of our personal and professional lives.

Since starting this class and with my “blinders” beginning to lift, I experienced shifts in my conversations with students. We began to talk about world events in Social Studies and critically question what we were seeing on media. We shared current news events with each other and discussed how to show respect and use dialectical skills in exploring alternate viewpoints.

There were three main steps that I focused on from my initial plan for my Major Project (see blogpost.) I wanted to explore other types of scope and sequence documents that might provide insights into developing one aimed at digital citizenship. What I found were some great resources like Commonsense Media. These are definitely a component of what I was trying to find. However, I was searching for more targeted lessons geared towards the units within my chosen course. This led me to the creation of a Google Form Survey that I posted on Twitter hoping to elicit responses that might guide me moving forward. (The Survey is still open, so please click on the link and add some insights!) Below are some of the responses that I have received.

Based on the responses that I received, I have started sourcing out a variety of resources that I will be able to add as resources to my Scope and Sequence. After checking these out, please fill out my Survey and suggest some more ideas. I want to provide access to realistic resources that will be interwoven throughout as relevant aspects in our daily lives.

A possible resource for Unit 2: Relationships and the Family Life Cycle and Unit 4: Health and Well-being will be Commonsense Digital Citizenship courses. Another great digital resource for adult students who may be navigating relationship changes will be Family Law at Plea.org, which has online resources on an easy-to-read website with access to online forms.

A possible resource for Unit 3: Independent Living and Consumerism is Everfi which has seven modules for high school addressing different aspects of financial well-being. A second relevant resource is an online course provided through the Canada Revenue Agency for students to learn about personal income taxes in Canada.

Posted in Major Learning Project, Uncategorized, Weekly Reflections | 2 Comments

Being Literate – A Stranger in a Strange Land (ECI 832)

“Dónde está el baño?” These words became critically important to me during my recent journey to Cuba. Being understood by others even with the small pieces of literacy that I held meant that I was able to navigate my way around a “strange land” with a portion of confidence. I knew that at the very least I would be able to make the basic request and get some help! After I gained this knowledge, I was able to transfer what I had learned into new areas – “Donde” = “Where” = “Donde agua?” = “Where water?” (Bottled water was a secondary critical need while basking in the hot sun.)

We were asked the question, “What does it mean to be literate today?” My first thoughts went to how we struggle from childhood to develop the ability to communicate – to be heard and understood by others. With each word that we learn as children, we fill with excitement and babble away to our parents and friends. As we move our way through our grade school years, we are exposed to new words, meanings, and applications. Each word that we learn opens up fresh lands for our feet to wander.

To me, a crucial part of being literate means learning the language that allows us to comfortably access and wander the landscape. With these words, we develop the ability to communicate, listen, and be understood. It goes even wider than that when we think about developing the ability to understand the events and issues that impact our daily lives. For example, when the Covid arrived, people were inundated with words like “virus,” “variant,” “mutations,” “antibodies,” and “RNA.” In order to understand how viruses work, we needed to strengthen our scientific literacies to understand the impacts of how our bodies function and how viruses work. In my Biology classes over the last few years, these are the types of words students learn along with the meanings behind them. They also explore how these words interact together to form a larger picture of overall health for their bodies and for their communities.

There are many different types of media that we are exposed to on a daily basis. It becomes challenging to sift our way through the detritus and find the nuggets of truth. The proliferation of “fake news,” “misinformation,” and “disinformation” add layers of difficulty to these efforts. Even the term, “fake news,” is a broad category that contains different levels of understanding, and it is important to critically examine what we are reading and seeing on all types of media.

“A review of previous studies that have used the term fake news reveals six
types of definition: (1) news satire, (2) news parody, (3) fabrication, (4) manipulation, (5) advertising, and (6) propaganda. What is common across these definitions is how fake news appropriates the look and feel of real news; from how websites look; to how articles are written; to how photos include attributions.”

Defining “Fake” News

I guess what I am trying to say is that being literate today means that individuals, schools, communities, and organizations need to work together to provide a strong foundation of words and meanings. From these foundational understandings, we can shift into viewing the “big picture” and make informed decisions about the issues and events that impact our everyday lives. The foundations need to be built through a wide array of literacy options: digital, media, biological, social sciences, environmental, governmental, and language arts. In each classroom, we continue to encourage students to explore new words, embrace the facility of language, and inquire about how we use it in everyday life.

Posted in Uncategorized, Weekly Reflections | 4 Comments

Join me? My Course Walkthrough on Canvas LMS

For my major project in ECI 834, I chose to use Canvas LMS to develop a Biological Influences on Development unit for Psychology 30. There are three modules within this unit and each module has its own submodules. For my course shell and Module One hand-in, I have focused on the first submodule, “Stress and Childhood Trauma,” (1.1 to 1.5.) While I do have two assigned reviewers who are checking out my course and providing feedback, I thought I would share the Walkthrough Video that I made for any future students who might be accessing my course asynchronously. (On a side note, I used Loom to make the video. It was my first time using Loom!)

Posted in Major Learning Project, Weekly Reflections | 6 Comments