This week in my journey of sewing, I finally got to sewing. I was having some issues with my machine so I went out to my grandma’s over the break so that she could teach me how to machine sew. I don’t know if I have explicitly said, but I know how to hand sew quite well, but the machine has always scared me. Anyways, when I walked into my grandma’s, we had to of course have a cup of coffee before we went to go sew. After that, I walked into my grandma’s sewing room and was amazed. The lady has a whole setup with two different machines!

We soon got started on making coasters that day. She first showed me how to sew, which was honestly difficult to follow just because she ends up cutting out half of her words when she is talking and sewing, but i got the gist of it.

Her hands also stayed in the way, but soon it was my turn. My first time doing it, I had a very uneven stitch. we ended up going again, and i did much better the second time. So much so that i ended up sewing the entire edges and actually finished the coaster!

And for everyone asking, I did not end up stitching my finger, although it was a thought that was in the back of my mind. After i had finished the coaster, i had to clean up the edges and iron the final product after i had flipped it inside out.

When i had gotten home, I had tried to make my own, which was the one on the top of the photo above. This is after i had spent about 5 hours fixing my machine with many frustrated sighs, I had gotten it fixed. Although mine did not turn out as well as the one I with my grandma, I am learning and excited to try something new.

Question is what should i make next? i have plans of making a potholder unless other people have suggestions on what to make?