Post #3 – Assignment 1 Trial Run – 2SLGBTQIA+ Inclusivity in the Curriculum

LGBTQ-inclusive curricula: why supportive curricula matter 

The issues and discrimination 2SLGBTQIA+ students face are being discussed more every day. There have even been thoughts and questions about how to address these issues through the use of curriculum in schools. The article titled “LGBTQ-inclusive curricula: why supportive curricula matter” by Snapp et al. (2015) suggests that having a curriculum that positively represents 2SLGBTQIA+ topics may help stop bullying and build a safer environment for 2SLGBTQIA+ students. According to Snapp et al. (2015), having positive 2SLGBTQIA+ topics in the curriculum is rare, even though it has obvious benefits.

When Snapp et al. (2015) compared the data within the schools and the data from different schools to each other, the results showed that feelings of safety improved when the curriculum was more 2SLGBTQIA+ inclusive. However, when Snapp et al. (2015) compared the same data, there were reports of more bullying against 2SLGBTQIA+ individuals within the schools. Snapp et al. (2015) suggest that there were reports of more bullying after including more positive representation because students recognized and looked for the bullying more. Overall the article and data collected by Snapp et al. (2015) suggest that both individual students and schools will benefit from inclusive 2SLGBTQIA+ topics being added to the curriculum. 

My next steps for this assignment will start with finding two other recent scholarly articles that are on the topic of 2SLGBTQIA+ inclusivity in the curriculum. I will then use what I found in my first article and what find in the other two articles, along with my own knowledge of the topic, to create a critical summary.

References

Snapp, S. D., McGuire, J. K., Sinclair, K. O., Gabrion, K., & Russell, S. T. (2015). LGBTQ-inclusive curricula: why supportive curricula matter. Sex Education, 15(6), 580–596. https://doi.org/10.1080/14681811.2015.1042573