EdPuzzle – Ummmm…. Yes Please

I found a very cool website/tool called EdPuzzle. It is  a tool to help create interactive lessons and videos, among other features. So as you may have guessed that it what I tried out this week. I also tried using Loom to screen record what I was using EdPuzzle for, but I am going to focus mainly on EdPuzzle. However I would like to mention I do not consider Loom to be user friendly and I would not recommend it for a screen recorder. 

I first used my first learning project video to play with the technology a bot before creating a new video to upload into EdPuzzle. 

A few quick things I really liked about EdPuzzle

• It automatically adds subtitles to your videos and they seem to be pretty accurate.
  • You can add questions and notes throughout the video for your students or whoever is watching to answer or read to better understand. You link the questions and notes to a certain point in the video.
  • You can upload your own video to edit or you can record right in EdPuzzle. And if you upload your own video you can do the same things, as well as do a voiceover your video. 
  • This seems to be a very classroom-friendly resource – probably better used in middle or high school. 

Here are the links to two little tutorials I created that show you a bit more about EdPuzzle – because I was struggling with Loom here are the links. Unfortunately, this is the best I can provide to watch the video

EdPuzzle Tutorial – Part 1

EdPuzzle Tutorial – Part 2

SAMR Model Connections

When thinking about EdPuzzle and the SAMR model, depending on how the teacher implements it – EdPuzzle could fall on many places on the model.

Substitution – Because of the nature of the website I do not think it would classify as substitution unless the teacher was using it to assign videos without adding any notes or questions then it could be considered. 

Augmentation – Augmentation would be a teacher assigning an already-made EdPuzzle-hosted video to the class and having them do it. Nothing super special – but it is a bit better than having students watch a video and answer questions on a piece of paper – this links the questions to different points in the video and lets the students go at their own pace. 

Modification – If you were to use EdPuzzle and classify it as modification, I think that would be the teacher assigning videos they created with different questions and notes. The feature that allows students to receive feedback and comments or post comments and questions on the assignment also helps consider EdPuzzle to be a modification.

Redefinition –  I found a feature that allows students to create their own videos or edit/add questions to a YouTube video and hand it in and share it with their classmates or make it public to the world. I was trying to view more on that but because I had a teacher account, I was struggling so it is something I would look at more. I consider that feature to be redefinition because students can share videos they created or videos they edited with the teacher, classmates, and the public! 

If anyone takes a look at EdPuzzle and wants to share with me what they learnt or things they found cool about it, or even of you tried it out and thought it was the coolest thing like I did – please let me know!

Check out my learning project post to see how I used EdPuzzle!