I think I am falling in love with EdPuzzle

Okay, so for this week’s learning post, I used videos I found on EdPuzzle to continue on my ASL learning journey. I found EdPuzzle a couple of weeks ago when we were challenged to use a new platform we had never used before. Check out my previous post about using EdPuzzle to get to know a little bit more about it!

The following are links to the videos I watched to help my learning

As I have been for the past few weeks, I have been documenting my learning with short videos. I plan to use pictures to document this week’s progress. Next week I plan to use a video to document my learning again, however, I plan to try to edit my video using Microsoft ClipChamp as I have heard many good things. In the next few weeks, I also plan on trying to use different editing software like iMovie or Lightworks.

Ultimately I decided on pictures because I did not learn as many signs this week. I focused more on making sure I know the alphabet really well and ASL sentence structure.

loading slideshow...

• How to say 'sign' in ASL - start with your fingers pointed inwards, then rotate them vertically towards yourself - as pictured.

loading slideshow...

• cat - start with your fingers in a squished ASL 'f' placed by your nose and lip.

• then pull the squished 'f' away from your face as though you were playing with whiskers like on a cat

loading slideshow...

• finish - start with both hands up and your palms flat facing in towards you

• then move your hands in a smooth motion to have both palms flat and facing away from you

loading slideshow...

• great - start with both hands up - palms facing away from yourself

• then move your hands still facing away from you upwards towards the sky

loading slideshow...

• help - your palm flat out with a thumbs up over top

loading slideshow...

• Learn - start with your fingers at your palm.

• Then pull up and to your head - like your are pulling knowledge from your palm to your brain

loading slideshow...

• Milk - positon your hand as shown and squeeze down like you would if you were milking a cow.

loading slideshow...

• show - start with your hands as shown

• then push it away from your body in one swift motion

loading slideshow...

• fine - five fingers up woth your thumb at your chest

loading slideshow...

• thank you - start with your your hand flat and palm facing you placed against your chin

• then bring your hand flat and straight down towards the ground as shown

A couple of things to note about ASL sentence structure

• Time, Topic Comment – When signing in ASL, you sign the time first, then the object you are talking about, and then any adjective or comments on the object.
    • Examples
    • English Sentence – Class was great today!  vs ASL Sign order – Today class great
    • English – The apples went bad last night. vs ASL – last night apples bad
  • If you are speaking about a person, you reference them first – if they are in the room you index or point to them
    • Ex: English – Mom went to the big city yesterday. vs ASL – Mom yesterday city big

My feelings on the EdPuzzle Videos

• Information – 8/10
  • Engagement – 9/10
  • Comments – The way EdPuzzle is set up, it is much more interesting and engaging. The videos would stop and ask questions to check your understanding, and I found that extremely helpful because it allowed me to stop and think for a minute before continuing on in the video. I think I retained more information this week than other weeks. Overall I re
  • Overall Rating – 9/10

If you do not remember how my rating system works, check out my second learning project blog post – I explain it in more detail in that post.

To end my post I want to highlight this video. 

It is one of the videos I watched on EdPuzzle and I think it would be a great resource for the classroom if you want to introduce students to sign language and practice the letters and sounds of the alphabet. This song/video prompted me to use kids songs/videos using ASL as my resource for next week!