Browsed by
Month: June 2023

ECS 203 Blog Post #7 (Final)

ECS 203 Blog Post #7 (Final)

Before taking this class, I had little to no knowledge of what “curriculum” and “pedagogy” were, the biases attached to these subjects, and the essential learnings that came with them. In the weeks of taking this class, my knowledge expanded and grew in many insightful ways. I learned that curriculum is what we teach, and pedagogy is how we teach it. The most shocking thing I learned in this course is that the government dictates what is taught in schools;…

Read More Read More

ECS 203 Blog Post #6

ECS 203 Blog Post #6

After reading the article “Teaching Mathematics and the Inuit Community” (Louise Poirier) and then reading “Jagged Worldviews Collided”(Leroy Little Bear), followed by viewing “Curriculum as Numeracy.” (Gale Russell) I learned how Eurocentric mathematical teaching differs from Indigenous teachings on this topic. A large part of my takeaways this week came from watching Gale Russell’s lecture. Much of the lecture discusses how math and curriculum reflect a mainly Eurocentric learning point of view. Gale provides us with a chart that helps…

Read More Read More

ECS 203 Blog Post #5

ECS 203 Blog Post #5

In this blog post, I will be responding to the following parts of an email that was initially sent to Dr. Mike Cappello. The email reads; “During the fall semester several years ago, Dr. Mike Cappello received an email from an intern asking for help. Here’s part of it: “As part of my classes for my three-week block, I have picked up a Social Studies 30 course. This past week we have been discussing the concept of standard of living…

Read More Read More