ECS 203 Blog Post #6

ECS 203 Blog Post #6

After reading the article “Teaching Mathematics and the Inuit Community” (Louise Poirier) and then reading “Jagged Worldviews Collided”(Leroy Little Bear), followed by viewing “Curriculum as Numeracy.” (Gale Russell) I learned how Eurocentric mathematical teaching differs from Indigenous teachings on this topic.
A large part of my takeaways this week came from watching Gale Russell’s lecture. Much of the lecture discusses how math and curriculum reflect a mainly Eurocentric learning point of view. Gale provides us with a chart that helps compare and contrast Eurocentric points of view versus Indigenous ways of knowing in Mathematics education. On the traditional Western Worldview side of the chart, it is stated that our Education is mainly “Linear, Singular, Static, and Objective.” This is one of many times we come in contact with this idea. A direct quote from the article “Jaggid Worldviews” states, “The Western European concept of time is a good example of linearity. Time begins somewhere way back there and follows a linear progression from A to B to C to D. The linearity manifests itself in terms of a social organization that is hierarchical in terms of both structure and power.” (Little Bear, Pg.82)
In contrast to Eurocentric ways of teaching, we look at the other side of the chart Gale provides to see what Indigenous ways of knowing looks like in Education. The chart states Indigenous knowledge as having “Diversity in knowledge, Spiritual, Emotional, Physical and Intellectual aspects, and being based around relationships and personal experiences.” These are only a few of the ideas that Indigenous Education adopts; there are many more that I did not mention. As ” Jaggad Worldviews mentions,” Indigenous knowledge can be related to a spider web; everything is connected and taught wholistically (Little Bear, Pg.79).
After reflecting on all of the knowledge I was provided with this week, one last quote Gale states in her lecture opened my eyes to why we need to push to incorporate other ways of learning that aren’t currently attached to our curriculum; the quote reads.”Mathematics Education has tried to maintain a singular order and a singular way of doing things…I am not trying to imply the experience of mathematics is anywhere near the experience of indigenous people and any other people who experienced colonialism; what I am trying to tell you is that the way we teach Mathematics is part of that colonial legacy” (Russell, 49:44).
As we can see based on both this week’s readings, as well as the chart Gale provided in her lecture video and all of the teachings she also shared, Eurocentric learning and Indigenous ways of teaching are relatively different and have different priorities. Through taking this course, I have learned a lot about how biased the curriculum can be and how uninclusive it is to culturally diverse students. It has become evident that a curriculum and education system change is needed. Including Indigenous ways of knowing and being in all student’s education systems will not only help to rebuild the relationship that has been under turmoil for years but will also create more knowledgeable, open-minded students in the future.

Being a colonial, able-bodied female, I have always been fortunate with opportunities and privileges. In elementary school, Indigenous Education was only implemented in social studies classes in a “token system” way. We would talk about the history of treaties, what a treaty is, and then discuss how Indigenous people survived off the land (buffalo jumps, how they made tools using the whole animal, and how they used animal hide for shelter). After we talked about this (from grades 1-8), we did not gain any other knowledge; It was not until high school that I learned about the 60s scoop or the severity of residential schools. It was even more shocking to me that “Indigenous studies” was not a mandatory class and that there was little to no talk about the ways of knowing and being until I took education classes at the U of R. If I were not studying at the university, the lenses I would bring to a classroom would look much different than they currently do. I have had the opportunity to learn about reconciliation and inclusive Education and how little the curriculum does to make all students feel seen and heard. Many people around me do not have that privilege and carry many stereotypes and biases from the misinformation that their past education system fed them. My Lenses come from my personal lived experiences, as do everyone else. Being an able-bodied colonialist female, I will have never experienced racism or been discriminated against for my abilities or my culture. As a teacher, I need to know that I won’t always be able to relate. Still, I will be able to advocate and educate and continue to teach the younger generation the importance of reconciliation and inclusion for all students.

References:

usp=sharinghttps://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/uregina/reader.action?ppg=101&docID=446587&tm=1541529707229

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sIDgjwf9qCdqjhNNhV_GOmlxal1d_ZJM/view?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XgvnbwyV2EoU7Uj9I7U7nrIwBPHyrHwy/view?usp=sharing

One thought on “ECS 203 Blog Post #6

1. Hello Alea,
    Your reflection on the articles and videos demonstrates a keen understanding of the differences between Eurocentric and Indigenous ways of teaching mathematics and education. It is evident that you have grasped the core concepts discussed, such as the linear and hierarchical nature of Eurocentric education compared to the holistic and interconnected nature of Indigenous knowledge. Your recognition of the need for curriculum and educational reforms to be more inclusive and representative of diverse cultures is a crucial insight. By acknowledging the limitations of your own education and privilege, you are taking a step towards becoming a more culturally responsive educator.

Your commitment to learning about reconciliation and inclusive education is commendable. By recognizing the tokenistic approach to Indigenous education in your elementary school and actively seeking out opportunities to understand the full scope of Indigenous history and experiences, you are actively challenging the gaps in your own education. It is impressive that you have taken the initiative to engage with various resources and critically reflect on the Eurocentric biases present in the curriculum. Your openness to learning from Indigenous communities, educators, and scholars can further enrich your understanding and perspective on inclusive education.

To continue your learning journey, you may consider exploring additional resources and experiences that delve deeper into Indigenous ways of knowing and teaching. This could include reading books written by Indigenous authors, attending workshops or conferences on Indigenous education, or participating in community engagement initiatives. Making connections between the concepts you have learned and other relevant topics, such as the integration of Indigenous knowledge in other subjects beyond mathematics, can further expand your understanding. By envisioning practical strategies to incorporate Indigenous ways of knowing in your teaching and creating a safe and inclusive learning environment, you are taking concrete steps towards fostering cultural understanding and empowering your students with diverse perspectives.