Bots, Cymeks, and J.A.R.V.I.S., oh my!!

Terminator-like cyborg bionic robot looking angrily at the camera portrait style orange purple and pink neon vivid colorsWhen reflecting upon the debate about AI (Artificial Intelligence) in schools, I struggle to decide which side of the fence I am on. While I see the potential benefits of including AI as an educational tool in classrooms, I am still wary of AI and its place in our daily lives. This wariness most likely comes from growing up watching The Terminator and its depiction of the near-mass extinction of humanity brought about by the AI network Skynet

Lately, I have been reading The Butlerian Jihad by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Which, chronologically, is the first in the Dune series. While completing the reading for this module, particularly thinking about how AI can free up teacher time from doing administrative tasks, I kept thinking about the novel and the background the author gives to set the stage for the events in this book. 

The beginning of the book describes the history that has led to this point of the story. Centuries ago, humanity became complacent and lost all ambition to think or dream after relying on AI and machines to do all their mundane tasks. A group of rebels decided it was time for a change in the Empire to renew the human spirit. The group reprograms the AI to help them take over the Empire by giving the AI human characteristics. After their victory, the group turned themselves into Cymeks, robots with human brains so that they could live and rule forever. They ruled this way for a century until one of the rebel members surrendered too much access to his AI network so that he could spend more time pursuing his pleasures. 

Generative AI illustration of illuminated brain in glass jar

This results in the AI known as Ominous becoming self-aware, turning on his creators and conquering most of the galaxy. The rest of the book tells the story of the war between humans and thinking machines (AI robots) after centuries of Ominous spreading and ruling the galaxy. 

This fiction, along with the discussion in the disagreeing side’s readings about the possibility of teachers becoming obsolete, has me thinking about how easily we could hand over tasks that we routinely do to free up our time for so-called more important work. The question that comes to my mind is, where is the line? How do we define tasks that are acceptable for AI to do or that should be done by humans? As AI continues learning from us and adapting, I imagine it will become more proficient at higher-level thinking problems. What happens then? As I write this, I am also aware that I am woefully ignorant of how AI works, which is a big part of my problem. I don’t understand it, so I’m slightly afraid of it. It’s also exciting to think about what AI could do! Artificial intelligence bot with thinking abilities, the world in a head, Artificial Intelligence powered system, AI brainImagine being like Tony Stark and having your own J.A.R.V.I.S. to talk to and help run your life – amazing! Imagine having an AI partner in your classroom who collects data as you teach and monitors student progress. In our classrooms bursting with 40+ students, would it become possible to reach them all with an AI partner monitoring the room? 

Science fiction is no stranger to telling stories that warn us of the dangers of misusing AI and its eventual takeover of our societies. At the same time, science fiction can also be a precursor to science facts, with shows like Star Trek helping us to imagine the possibilities of technology in our daily lives, such as video calls, flip phones and automatic sliding doors. Movies like Interstellar helped scientists render images of black holes and provide new insights into how black holes’ gravitational fields work.

Black hole system. Elements of this image furnished by NASA

However, when I reflect upon the science fiction movies I have watched, I have difficulty thinking of any revolutionary depictions of how education might look different. The 2009 Star Trek movie shows us glimpses of a young Spok answering rapid-fire questions in some sort of learning pod while an adult monitors, and we see James T. Kirk attend university in classrooms that mirror those of today. Maybe it’s time for educators to take up the dream of how education can evolve in a technological world.

Undoubtedly, to prepare students for their futures, we must embrace the technology that is available and readily accessible to them. AI is another tool that teachers can utilize to help prepare students to live in the world. However, if there are any lessons to learn from the fiction surrounding AI, it seems that caution is key. As with any tech tool in education, there is a need for professional development and sound policy development to guide the use of AI to ensure that it is being used meaningfully and that student data and privacy are protected.

4 Replies to “Bots, Cymeks, and J.A.R.V.I.S., oh my!!”

1. Carol Fisher says: Reply

I think you might have me sold on Dune. I saw the previews for the film and read the book jacket but haven’t picked it up yet. I like the little Yu-Gi-Oh type card you have, to be honest it it what drew me to this blog and also makes me interested to have a read of Dune. Science fiction is a great gateway for exactly thinking about consequences but also what future could look like. I always love turning my students to Ray Bradbury to get a taste of sci-fi that predicted our future.

2. Hi Amy,
    I don’t think there is something wrong with AI freeing us some time because we can use it to help one-on-one students or for small group discussions to address specific challenges or gaps. Nowadays, we have so many students who desperately need that support. We can use that free time to build and strengthen relationships, provide instant feedback, and reflect on how to integrate AI into activities and lesson plans. The list can go on and on, but my point is that we should not consider AI as a threat to education but as a powerful tool that can enhance our effectiveness. To answer your question, “Where is the line” between an AI’s job and a teacher’s job? I would measure it with the success and progress in your classroom. If the students are learning and they have fewer gaps to fill in, that means that you are doing the right thing. If you don’t see any improvement, then you should adapt or change your tools or strategies. I think success is different for different students, but just use your guts and don’t be afraid!

3. Aradhana Sapru says: Reply

Hi Amy. As I was reading your post, I was also thinking of exactly this. “As I write this, I am also aware that I am woefully ignorant of how AI works, which is a big part of my problem. I don’t understand it, so I’m slightly afraid of it.” In your words, I think you have summed up exactly as I feel. AI is possibly a new technology to me and I think that it has many advantages. I also believe that it can be misused. We need to be careful with technology.

4. Allysia Doratti says: Reply

Thank you for sharing such a thought-provoking post! Your exploration of AI’s potential and the cautious optimism it inspires is insightful. My main takeaway is the importance of balancing AI’s integration in education with maintaining human oversight and ethical considerations. Your comparison to science fiction highlights both the potential and risks of AI, prompting reflection on its role in our lives.

Question:
    Given the rapid advancements in AI, how do you think educators can stay ahead of the curve to ensure they effectively use AI as a tool rather than being overshadowed by it?