About Me

Hello and welcome to my site!  I have built this site to showcase the learning that I am doing in EC&I 832, Digital Citizenship and Media Literacy.  I am really excited but nervous about this class because I am not a big technology user in either my personal life or teaching life.  I regularly go months to years between posting on any of my social media pages, and although I use some technology in the classroom you won’t find any razzle dazzle!  I think I can pinpoint the reason why this might be so – my own school experience occured just prior to the big technology boom of the 2000s.  You could find me playing good old Oregon Trail in elementary school (if you know, you know) and burning my own CDs and texting using T9 in high school and that was about the extent of my technology use.  The tech world felt pretty foreign to me when it started becoming more common and I never did take the plunge into it like some of my more tech savvy friends.

This brings me to today.  As a high school teacher, I use more technology than I ever have in the past thanks to the pandemic but these skills are quite basic so to be able to not only spice up my lessons, but also meet students where they are at, which is living in a digital world, would be a nice outcome from this class.

On a more personal note of introduction, I have my own sweet family of four – my husband, Byron, and our two children, Kyla and Jace.  We currently have two cats and will be welcoming a golden retriever to the family in the spring!  With my kids being 7 and 5, they are rapidly entering the age where technology is everywhere, so I also hope to gain some increased skills specifically around online safety in this class.

Thanks for reading my introduction!  You can check out my weekly learning blog and projects in the EC&I 832 tab!

Holly