Practice Makes Perfect… Eventually… Right?

OK! Week 1 into my embroidery journey and I am reminded that it is not as easy as it looks. I was extremely humbled this week.

I sat down with my embroidery material with the goal in mind that I wanted to learn how to start an embroidery from the very beginning as well as a good amount of basic of stitches. Being a very visual learner I thought YouTube would be the perfect place to start. I learned very quickly that there was a whole world of resources for beginners like me on YouTube – it was truly a task to find which one I wanted to watch.

I Heart Stitch Art – Website Logo

One video by I Heart Stitch Art (Sarah) particularly stood out as the title of the video literally had everything I wanted to learn in the title “Embroidery for beginners – Stitches, knots, needle threading & More”. This video was awesome! From it I learnt how to load my hoop and properly separate my thread and thread it through my needle as well as the following stitches:

• Back Stitch
  • Running Stitch
  • Stem Stitch
  • Chain Stitch (I struggled with this one.. hence the title of my post)
  • French Knot
  • Lazy Daisy (OK, I reaalllly struggled with this – picture proof below)
  • Satin Stitch
Basic Stitch-work

This video was great in terms of instruction but it also broke each step down into ‘Chapters’, making it extremely convenient to find the time where the stitch you needed more practice with was.

I wasn’t just glad to have stumbled upon this video because of Sarah’s great instruction but, low and behold, she also has an Etsy Shop, Blog, and Instagram where she has more free resources (SCORE!).

This week proved to me that embroidery is definitely “in” right now just by the amount of resources available – I don’t think I will have any shortage as my journey continues!

What to Expect Next Week

More of the same will be coming next week while I try out some more complex stitch work and maybe try to find some more resources to assist me in the ones I struggled with this week!

6 thoughts on “Practice Makes Perfect… Eventually… Right?

1. It looks great! I might have to check out that video because I have been seriously struggling with the French knot lol. I’ve also found YouTube to be such a useful resource for embroidery so I’m happy to have more sources to check out. I’m excited to see what else you end up creating!

1. Hi Ava! Youtube is awesome – I found lots of the videos I briefly looked at also had corresponding blogs or other social media accounts so that makes for double the amount of resources 🙂

2. Look awesome! I am not a creative person so hats off to you for trying this! My mom loves cross stitching and every year she does Christmas ornament with the year on it and some sort of design. Who knows, maybe one day you’ll be able to do it too 😉

1. Ahh yes! My grandmother had done similar with cross-stitching – I think they are such thoughtful gifts, that is actually why I have embarked on this journey 🙂

3. Hi Alli!

Embroidery is a great activity to learn! I think that after lots of practice you will be able to sit down and embroider anything like a pro! This class is so helpful because it stops us from giving up when things get difficult! Thanks for sharing and I cannot wait to see you continue your embroidery journey!

Meghan