Can TikTok be Trendy AND Helpful?!

Week 4 on my hand embroidery journey, here we gooo!

This weeks goal: To be able to successfully embroider lettering via TikTok tutorials

I am not going to lie, I spend my fair share of time on TikTok – trust me, you do not want to see my screen report summary. By no means am I a TikToker… as I have never posted a video, but I feel pretty comfortable using the search bar. SO that is what I did, I opened up the app on my phone and did a search “Embroidering Letters”. Please refer below of a screenshot of the results to my search.

I allowed for my search to become more refined by selecting one of the options you can see in the screenshot above and to the left under “Others searched for”. Continuing this search by selecting “Hand embroidery for beginners letters”. This allowed me to pick a TikTok with ease as one account, @emily_bea, came up in my original search and my more focused on.

It was a pleasant surprise when I clicked on her account and seen 37 tutorials on hand embroidery!!!

I followed Emily’s tutorials for the following lettering:

Hand embroidered lettering
  1. Simple lettering
  2. Block lettering
  3. Handwriting

As you can see, I didn’t love the way my block lettering looked as I filled it in, but, I do like how it looks with just the outline done!

I liked that the TikToks are short, about 1 minute in length, and though they can be hard to “rewind” in time on my phone, it is very easy to do when on the computer! There were a ton of different resources on this platform, with a wide variety of skill ranges. I found that TikTok was less of “buy my products” push than what I experienced with Youtube. Again, I enjoyed that the videos were short and to the point and VERY easily paused when needed. All in all, I found these TikToks incredibly easy to follow and I will absolutely refer back to Emily’s page as I continue on my journey.

My consensus on TikTok is, YES, it can be trendy and helpful! I would love to know what everyone else’s thoughts are on TikTok – any other ideas on how it can be used as a positive platform or learning resource?

Next weeks goal: To transfer a pattern to my embroidery fabric & work on putting all my newly learned techniques to the test!

Please see below the three videos I referenced during my progress this week:

@emily_bea

How to embroider cursive writing! #embroidery #embroiderytutorial #embroider #diy #howto #tutorial #stemstitch

♬ [Hip-Hop] Sad LoFi Sound – アイスカプロジェクト

@emily_bea

How to embroider block lettering! #embroidery #embroiderytutorial #embroider #diy #howto #tutorial #lettering

♬ A little uneasy lo-fi hip-hop(794918) – kai

@emily_bea

How to do simple lettering! The first of a few I want to make #embroidery #embroiderytutorial #embroider #howto #diy #tutorial

♬ Lo-fi hip hop(219685) – NAO-K

6 thoughts on “Can TikTok be Trendy AND Helpful?!

1. Yay I’m so glad you found Tik Tok helpful! I also found learning embroidery on there super useful, and I agree that there’s way less of a push for ads on Tik Tok. I think it can be such a good app for building a school community. Lots of high schools have tik tok SRC accounts and its a way of delivering school news to kids in a way they engage with! I’ve also seen teacher tik toks where they post short clips of math or English help! I think tik tok is what we make it and decide to use it for, so its great to see people using it positively!

1. Yes! I appreciate the short videos – I found it easier to “shop” around more accounts and videos because of that rather than the lengthy YouTube ones!

2. So cool! I am not really much of a tik tok user, but I am really starting to see how it can be beneficial for learning! I have friends who use it often for mom hacks or cooking hacks, maybe I need to start using it more often. It sounds like it was a great tool for your learning project. Thanks for sharing!

1. I find the amount of resources on TikTok to be overwhelming at times, but definitely lots of good stuff if you have the time to sift through!

3. I am not a huge fan of tik tok. I think it sucks up to much time that I don’t have, even though I find some of the videos amusing. It is probably a useful way of trafficking some info… I am going to be checking it out for some sign language helps.