I just keep fallin’ for embroidery

Hello Everyone!

My goal this week was to work on transferring patterns to my embroidery cloth… with ease. I had such success last week with simply googling what I was looking for, so I gave that a go again this week. My Google search of “How to transfer a pattern to embroidery fabric” brought me what I swear was a million results, at the time I searched it was after a long day so I thought a video would work best for where I was learning was at that moment.

I selected a quick 4:27 minute  Youtube video to help guide me in my learning, Kristen Gulu with Gulush had an excellent video on How To Transfer an Embroidery Pattern! With my low attention span, I’m not going to lie… I did not watch the video in entirety (I know,  I know), but she had showed me what I was looking for in the first 1:40 minutes. WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER.. right? Anyways, with Halloween right around the corner and having a very limited amount of fall decor in my house, I thought I should make some!

OK, so I did another Google search (side note: what did we do before Google? I can’t remember), this time in the search of “Free pumpkin embroidery patterns”. Surprise surprise, my search for a free pattern came up short. I did find some inspiration from And Other Adventures – an embroidery company based in the U.S. – lets take a minute to appreciate how CUTE these pieces are

I didn’t think it looked too hard:

1. Outline the pumpkin with a stitch of my choice
  2. Statin stitch the stem
  3. Add some cool detail

Easy money. I learnt how to do that my first few weeks. Back to my handy dandy friend, Google, for yet another search, this time “Pumpkin outline” in the hopes I would find a basic pumpkin I could embroider. After finding what I was looking for it was time to get started. Since this week my focus was transferring the pattern onto the paper, I did that and not a whole lot more. This week my progress ended with outlining the pumpkin with a chain stitch.

Screenshot of the pumpkin outline I used

I found transferring the pattern the way Kristen explained in her video to be seamless, and not how I would have done it without using Youtube. If you have been reading my posts, it is no surprise that I struggle with the chain stitch, so in the spirit of making your weaknesses your strengths (or at least a little better), that is what I chose to outline my pumpkin with.

The start of my pumpkin decor!

Next Week

DETAIL, DETAIL,DETAIL! I am going to find a fun way to make my pumpkin into more of an aesthetically pleasing piece of decor. Decorating my house is a fun way to express myself, so I think I am going to have some fun with this!

4 thoughts on “I just keep fallin’ for embroidery

1. Hi Alli,

I really like the focus you took with this week’s learning project. The outline of your pumpkin turned out so cute! I am excited to see the additional details you incorporate into your pumpkin next week! ?

2. Hey Alli, thanks for sharing. It’s a good reflection about the ease of online learning – being able to Google big things, but also the small things along the way. I have found myself doing the same thing as I’m engaged in my Learning Project – there is nothing quite like the ease of access that Google provides to pretty much anything.

1. At times I hate the reliance I seem to have on the internet but then I think about how lucky we are to have these resources and it would be silly to not use them!