"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

Month: September 2024

What is Crocheting?

Based on the title of this post, you can probably guess that I have very little knowledge about crocheting. All I know is that it involves yarn, a stick/hook or two, and that the yarn is looped around them in some way. I have only been exposed to the end products of crocheting through the things that my Aunt Sandy has created and given me as gifts, the one plushie that I bought myself, and videos I have seen online. I always thought it was cool that my aunt was able to create all of the scarfs, toques, beanies, and blankets that she did.

The bottom two rows of toques and scarves are from my aunt, and the plushie at the top came labeled as “Mushroom Dude”.

Originally, my learning project was going to be centered around learning sign language. I did want to do crocheting for my project initially, but I did not want to purchase anything. I also figured that it would get delivered to me too late. However, I mentioned this to my mom one night, and she remembered that she maybe still had crocheting hooks. We took a quick journey downstairs, waking my brother up in the process, and started digging things out of the middle section of the dresser-turned-TV stand. Lo and behold, Mom still had yarn, crochet hooks, and knitting needles that she had purchased before my brother or I even existed. She said that she had tried to get into crocheting and knitting but found that she liked making rugs more. This means that I will get to keep all of the stuff if I enjoy doing it, which I think is pretty cool.

My Plan for the Learning Project:

1) Learn the Basics. As I said, I know nothing. I need to have a basic understanding of crocheting terminology if I ever want to progress to the point where I can fully create something. (I have taken a look at some crochet patterns online and they are like gibberish to me right now.)

– I found this great playlist of videos by Bella Coco on YouTube and will use some of them to kickstart my learning journey. I have watched part of the first one, and it is slow going and easy enough for me to follow.

– It might be a good idea for me to create a vocabulary list to reference when I am first starting out. At the very least it should be a list of the words and their abbreviations as most of the patterns I have found use only abbreviations in the steps.

2) Learn the Specifics. I really would like to create a plushie and there seems to be a lot of stitches and loops that I need to learn specifically for that.

– The Woobles website has a lot of great tutorial videos for each specific skill/technique needed to crochet plushies, and I can access them for free. I will likely use those to learn more advanced aspects of crocheting.

3) Create a Final Product. My main goal for this learning project is to create a plushie. I might be overestimating my learning abilities in the timeline that we have for this class, but creating my own plushie is something that I eventually want to do someday.

-If I find that this beyond my reach, I might switch my goal to creating a blanket or something of similar difficulty that is smaller.

-For this final product, I will likely be using patterns uploaded by various people from the LoveCrafts site, which seems to have plenty of free patterns that I can follow.

These are some of the flat duct tape flowers that I kept for myself.

I have always wanted to be crafty and create something with my hands that wasn’t typed out on a computer screen and handed in for marks. Something that could be used to create both fun and useful things. My younger self created wallets and flowers out of colourful and patterned duct tape (and created a mini-business for a year or two by selling them to my classmates), although I have pretty much grown out of that. Learning how to crochet can maybe help adult me to fulfill that need again. Regardless, I am ready to learn something new and hopefully create something I can be proud of. Also, I hope I don’t get too overwhelmed or frustrated along the way.

Welcome to My Blog!

Hello everyone! My name is Alyssa Mozel. I grew up and went to school in Wynyard, and I did band, figure skating, soccer, and several genres of dance at that time. I just finished my Bachelor’s Degree of Secondary Education in April of this year. I am currently a substitute teacher for the Horizon School Division. The division encompasses a bunch of small towns and the city of Humboldt.

Horizon Map

Pic from the Horizon School Division website.

I am also doing 3 classes for my Inclusive Education Certificate (that I will hopefully finish in April 2025), so I am pretty busy right now. I have enjoyed subbing, because I get to see a diverse range of instructional strategies, resources, classroom layouts/environments, and school-wide initiatives that I would not get to see or experience otherwise. (Additionally, I get to see and hear how some students respond to those things. There is generally a mix of good and bad feelings, but they are always very passionate when telling me about those opinions and experiences.) Most importantly, I love working with all of the kids I see (even if I get sick because of them). I love the small-town environments, and it is interesting to see the similar and unique challenges that those schools face and how they each try to overcome them.

When it comes to educational technology, I have had a decent amount of exposure and practice with it both as a student and a learning/new educator. I am part of the generation that grew up with tech being slowly introduced into the classroom, which started at Grade 1 or 2 for me. I had typing classes and got sufficient training in many Microsoft applications. Google applications came out when I was in Grade 12 (I believe), so I do not know all of the special tips and tricks. However, I can still operate many of those applications at a basic level. As a learning educator, I did my entire first year of classes (and anywhere from 30-50% of the rest of the classes for my Bachelor Degree) on Zoom. I have worked with Google Classroom and Edsby for my placements and internship, so I am very comfortable with those. There are other apps like Kahoot, Audacity, Scratch Jr, and various video-creating/editing/uploading software that I have used here and there as well. Essentially, I know my way around the internet, computer, and can figure out apps through YouTube tutorials/trial and error, but I do not claim to be the most technologically proficient person out there.

Blogging is something that I have not personally done, but I have read a blog or two for university classes. A lot of this will be new to me, but, hopefully, I will find my flow and become more comfortable with it as time goes on. I tend to be a more formal writer (due to the numerous essays and article reviews that I have written for English, Social Studies, and Education classes), and I am going to do my best to turn that part of my brain off a little bit. However, I do enjoy using big words from time to time, and I will not be stopping! If I find an obscure or rarer word in something I am reading, I may try to find a way to add it here (and link to the definition for those who are interested). Despite all this, I am excited to share my Learning Project journey (I chose crocheting), so please check that out!

Finally, I would like to sign off for the mean time with some pictures of my beloved kitties.

Luna (Left) and Hobbzy (right) sit on the deck bench.

Below is Hobbzy. She is an extremely rare cat, because she is a female orange tabby. Apparently, she needed to inherit the recessive orangeness from both parents in order for her to be female and orange (80% of orange tabbies are male). Her eyes are green, which also rare in orange tabbies. She is lazy… unless she wants something. She has learned to operate a gate’s pull latch that is 6 feet above the ground. In her younger years, she was a persistent hunter of anything that moved (yes, the backyard is a bit of a graveyard). She is stubborn and persistent and will take your spot on the couch when you leave, even at the old age of 17. Hobbzy loves to sunbathe and often has to be forcefully brought in before she experiences heat stroke. Unfortunately, she does not eat lasagna like Garfield, but she does like corn, chicken, and seafood-flavoured cat food.

Hobbzy on my swimming lesson papers.

Hobbzy on my bed.

Now onto the cat that will sleep face-down… This is our 5 year-old tuxedo cat, Luna. Luna was accidentally named by my brother who jokingly brought up the name during one of his many lists of joke names. He was quite dismayed when we actually liked the name (oops). Luna tends to be a bit skittish and anxious, but she defends her territory fiercely. She is a lover of food and will do her best to look innocent before attempting to steal Hobbzy’s food. She has lost many a collar (only god knows where) and loves to roll around in dirt (but won’t allow us to brush her without complaining). She lives up to her name by getting very aggressive when night falls. If you do not get her inside before that happens, good luck trying to get her without getting a few scratches in the process (if you can even get close to her). At that point, she will only come in for food.

Luna getting restless, annoyed, and aggressive during a night storm.

Luna cleaning herself.

Have a good day, and I hope you sleep well this week!

© 2024 Alyssa Mozel