Uncategorized

Domo Arigato, Professor Roboto?

The Use of AI in our Classrooms: Will it, or will it not enhance learning?

Will AI enhance learning? How much is too much? Are our, like many other professions, jobs at risk of being taken over by machines or robots?  This week’s debate caused a whirlwind of thoughts that swirled around and I could not land on a hard yes or no. Perhaps if I was a robot, I could make this decision more easily.

I think that just as any new technology has brought initial resistance to learning, so has the use of AI.

Each type of technology that we have been presented with or have utilized in our classrooms has brought initial resistance, but we have consistently attempted to work through it to find a balanced approach of traditional methods and tech-based learning. 

It is undeniable that there are utterly astonishing things AI is capable of in the field of education:

“AI is quickly gaining popularity in education, and it incorporates embedded computer systems to transcend the traditional view of AI as a supercomputer. For example, artificial intelligence (AI), computers, and integrated support equipments may be utilised to develop robots that enhance students’ educational experiences, starting with as basic as early childhood education.Timms [7]–​[9] reports that cobots, which are robots that work alongside teachers, are used to teach young people the fundamental skills like orthography and pronunciation while adapting to the students’ capacities. [11]. Additionally, web-based and online education has evolved beyond simply providing students with online or online material for downloading, studying, and completing assignments to include intelligent and adaptive Web-based systems that learn from instructor and student behaviour and adapt to improve the educational experience [6]. According to Chassignol and colleagues, AI has been integrated into school administration, instruction, and teaching and learning [11].” (Alam)

More personalization and customization, and more effective distribution of course material are other undeniably beneficial points of AI’s capacities in education.

This all being said, I still find it all a tad frightening. We still need human contact, conversations, debates, free-thought, mistakes, and a bit of disorganization and mess.

Yes, I think we can embrace AI in education to some extent, use it in some capacities, but still focus on fostering the love and personal human connection that teachers do.
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto- as amazing as you are, you will never take our careers from us!

• Graeme Gieni

Hey Amanda, great post. I also agree that AI has its benefits in the classroom but the human contact is vital piece needed still. It will be about finding the right amount of balance between the two, as educators move forward with these new technologies.

• Amanda Stecyk

Thanks, Graeme! I agree and I hope that we as teachers can find that sweet spot and maintain a balance between personal connections, and staying up to date with all the newest tech methods! Best of luck to us all 🙂

• Kanwal Humayun

Hello Amanda
    I really enjoyed really your blog and I surely support statement that Yes, I think we can embrace AI in education to some extent, use it in some capacities, but still focus on fostering the love and personal human connection that teachers do. I am strong believer of empathy and personal touch. As teachers this extra element gives us the advantage to deal with that affection and for that reason I am sure teachers will always be around !

• Amanda Stecyk

Thank you for your supportive words, Kanwal! I believe empathy goes such a long way in our classrooms. I am happy to read that you feel the same. All the best -Amanda