"It matters not what one is born, but what they grow to be." - Albus Dumbledore

Learning Theories and their Place in the Classroom

There are three basic theories of learning, behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism. Each of these learning theories are unique from each other and can be helpful in the classroom. The behaviorism theory of learning is based on the idea that behaviours are learned through our interaction with the environment around us. Behaviours are either reinforced with a positive reward, or a punishment is given to discourage unwanted behaviour. A lot of the teachers I had in elementary school used this learning strategy for classroom management, and to encourage participation. If you answered a skill testing question correctly, you either got a treat of some kind or where let to go for recess early. I am an introvert and was very shy and self conscious growing up, responding to questions out loud in front of other students, was not something I enjoyed, I was terrified to be wrong and look stupid. If I was absolutely sure that I had the right answer, a treat was sometimes enough motivation, to get me to answer. Rewarding correct answers isn’t a bad thing, but I personally feel that rewarding effort is more important and effective when it comes to learning and actually understanding something.

The cognitivism learning theory views the student as if they were a computer. Information is inputted and stored for later use and recall. Information can be expanded upon or edited if needed. All of the knowledge comes from the teacher, questions and inquiry are encouraged, but all of the information is passed on through the teacher. For me this type of learning was for the most part pointless, memory was not and is still not my forte. Unless there was a good book, movie, or song that aligned with my interests, I was most likely going to forget everything I had memorized just to pass an exam.

Constructivism is the learning theory I want to focus on as I pass knowledge on to students, and help them to explore knowledge. This approach to learning, actually involves the students in their learning. Learning is more personal and is gained through experiences, asking questions, and nurturing and encouraging the student’s curiosities. Students knowledge, creativity, and ideas are encouraged and it is recognized that teachers can also learn from students. I personally did not experience a lot of this type of teaching until I reached post secondary level classes. I strongly identify with this learning theory and hope to use it for a majority of my teaching. When students become more involved in their learning they are more likely to find enjoyment in it and take on more responsibility when it comes to their education. Behaviorism and cognitivism still does have its place within the classroom, but not as a major focus point for passing on knowledge. I want students to become life long learners and I want to teach them how to learn and not just cram information into them.

UC Berkeley. (2016). Learning: Theory and Research. Teaching Guide for GSIs. Graduate Student Instructor. Teaching and Resource Center.

1. Brooke Wagner

Amber,
    I liked your points about how there is a time and place for all learning theories, but how being active in our own education is what will make us actually continue learning throughout our lives. Growing up, I had similar experiences with behaviorism not as much because I was an introvert but because I was terrified of being wrong.
    I hope to use a combination of all three learning experiences, but I am curious on how you will implement them to create life long learners?

• ajd727

I want to engage the students in their learning, encourage their curiosities, and help them follow their interests