EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Mastering the Basics of Origami

Week 1 Progress Update

This week, I made significant strides in my origami learning journey. My main resource was the blog Origami.me, which provided me with a comprehensive introduction to the art of paper folding. Here’s a detailed account of my progress and experiences.

Resource Overview:

Beginner’s Guide: This guide was instrumental in getting me started. It covered the fundamental concepts of origami, including the basic folds and terminology. The step-by-step instructions were clear and easy to follow, which was perfect for someone like me who is just starting out. I learned about the different types of folds such as the valley fold, mountain fold, squash fold, and reverse fold. Understanding these basics was crucial for my confidence and ability to move forward with more complex designs.

Paper Guide: This page provided an in-depth look at the types of paper suitable for origami. It emphasized the importance of using the right kind of paper for different projects. I learned about the characteristics of traditional origami paper (kami), foil paper, and handmade paper. Since I already had a pack of 400 origami papers, I was able to test out the different types I had on hand. This guide helped me understand how paper choice can affect the final look and feel of my creations.

Butterfly Tutorial: After familiarizing myself with the basic folds and paper types, I decided to tackle my first project: an origami butterfly. This tutorial was a perfect starting point as it combined various folds into a beautiful, yet simple design. The instructions were detailed, with images accompanying each step, making it easy to follow along.

My Progress:

Learning Basic Folds: I dedicated the first few days of the week to practicing the basic folds. I spent about 30 minutes each day folding and refolding paper to ensure I could execute each fold correctly. The valley fold and mountain fold were straightforward, but I found the outside reverse fold to be a bit challenging initially. However, with practice, I began to get the hang of it. Here are the specific folds I practiced:

Inside Reverse Fold
Outside Reverse Fold
Rabbit Ear Fold
Squash Fold
Pleat
Crimp
Petal Fold

Choosing the Right Paper: Armed with knowledge from the Paper Guide, I experimented with different types of paper from my collection. I noticed that the traditional kami paper was easier to work with for beginners due to its crispness and ease of folding. This experimentation helped me understand the significance of paper quality and how it impacts the folding process.

Creating the Butterfly: Finally, I spent the latter part of the week working on the butterfly tutorial. Following the step-by-step instructions, I carefully folded each crease, paying close attention to the images provided. The process was incredibly satisfying, and seeing the butterfly take shape was a rewarding experience. While my first few attempts weren’t perfect, I could see a noticeable improvement with each try. By the end of the week, I was able to create a butterfly that I was proud of.

Reflection:

This week has been a fantastic introduction to the world of origami. Utilizing the resources from Origami.me has provided me with a solid foundation and boosted my confidence. The practice of basic folds, understanding paper types, and successfully creating a butterfly have all been significant milestones in my learning journey.

Learning through a blog has been an interesting experience. The step-by-step photos and written instructions are very helpful for understanding the details of each fold. However, I believe that following along with a video tutorial would be much easier, especially for more complex projects. I look forward to incorporating video resources into my learning process as I start making full origami forms and tackle more intricate designs.

I am excited to continue this journey and challenge myself with more complex designs in the coming weeks. Stay tuned for more updates and insights as I delve deeper into the art of origami!

• Kiera Brennan

Hi Anna! Your blog looks amazing!! Great work with all of your posts. I look forward to keeping up with your origami progress!

• Brittany Silzer

Hello Anna,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post. Seeing the pictures of the different folds brought back memories from when I used to do origami as a child. I remember borrowing origami books from the school library and attempting to make the many things shown inside. One thing I remember making over and over was a paper crane. When you moved the tail on the crane up and down, the wings would begin to flap as if it was flying. I distinctly remember the paper crane having a fold similar to the squash and petal fold you have displayed above. For nostalgic purposes, I want to try folding a paper crane again. Thanks for sharing your process.

• Anna Van Winkoop

Hello Brittany!
      Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I’m thrilled to hear that my post brought back fond memories of your childhood origami adventures. The paper crane is such a classic and beloved model, and it’s wonderful that you have such vivid memories of making it. The squash and petal folds are indeed key elements in many origami designs, including the crane. I hope you have a great time revisiting this beautiful art form and creating cranes again. If you need any tips or have any questions while folding, feel free to reach out.
      Happy folding, and thanks for sharing your story!

• Olawanle Agbebi

Hi Anna,

Nice reading your post. I would also love to learn origami because it will be a useful tool in the classroom but that will be after learning Braille. I will keep reading your posts to learn from you.