EDTC 300,  Professional Learning

My Scratch Journey – Creating Unicorn Birthday Bash

As someone who’s always been fascinated by the magical world of coding, I decided to take a dive into Scratch this week. My project is a whimsical game where a unicorn, guided by the mouse pointer, collects birthday items falling from the sky. Here, I’d like to share my experience creating this game, what I learned, and why I believe coding is a valuable skill for everyone to learn.

Getting Started with Scratch

Scratch is an innovative platform developed by the MIT Media Lab. It uses a simple drag-and-drop interface, allowing users to create interactive stories, games, and animations. This accessibility makes Scratch an excellent tool for both beginners and more experienced programmers.

Creating an account on Scratch is straightforward. After logging in, I was ready to start my new project. The user-friendly interface offers a variety of sprites, backdrops, and sounds, giving me a wide range of choices to bring my game idea to life.

Conceptualizing the Game

I wanted to create something visually appealing and fun, yet simple enough for anyone to play. The game involves a unicorn sprite that follows the mouse pointer, collecting birthday-themed items like cakes, balloons, and party hats that fall from the sky.

Building the Game: Step-by-Step

1. Choosing the Sprite and Backdrop:

• I started by selecting a unicorn sprite from the Scratch library. The library has a vast collection, but I settled on a unicorn because it added a touch of magic to my game.
  • For the backdrop, I chose a colorful, cheerful scene to match the birthday theme.

2. Programming the Sprite:

• The main challenge was to program the unicorn to follow the mouse pointer. Using the “Events” block, I set the game to start when the green flag is clicked.
  • I then used the “forever” loop to continuously update the unicorn’s position to match the mouse pointer’s location.

3. Creating the Falling Items:

• I created multiple birthday-themed items, such as cakes, balloons, and party hats. These items needed to fall from the top of the screen at random intervals and positions.
  • For each item, I used the “when green flag clicked” event to start the game and a “forever” loop to make them fall repeatedly.

4. Adding the Scoring System:

• To make the game engaging, I added a scoring system. Each time the unicorn collects an item, the player earns points.
  • I used the “Sensing” blocks to detect when the unicorn touches an item and the “Variables” blocks to keep track of the score.

5. Adding Sounds and Enhancements:

• To enhance the game’s experience, I added sound effects that play each time an item is collected. Scratch’s sound library offers a variety of effects to choose from.

Testing and Refining

After putting all the pieces together, I tested the game extensively. This process involved identifying and fixing bugs, adjusting the difficulty level, and refining the visual and sound effects to ensure a smooth and enjoyable gaming experience.

What I Learned

Creating this game on Scratch was a rewarding experience. Here are some key takeaways:

• Scratch’s event-driven approach helped me grasp how different events trigger specific actions in a program.
  • Debugging the game required critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for any programmer.
  • Coding isn’t just about logic and algorithms; it’s also about creativity. Designing the game’s visuals and interactions allowed me to express my creativity in a new way.

Thoughts on Scratch

Scratch is a fantastic platform for learning to code. Its visual nature simplifies complex programming concepts, making it accessible to beginners. It encourages experimentation and creativity, allowing users to build a wide variety of projects. For children, Scratch provides a fun introduction to the world of coding, sparking interest and enthusiasm for technology.

The Importance of Coding

In today’s digital age, coding is a crucial skill. It goes beyond creating software; coding teaches logical thinking, problem-solving, and perseverance. These skills are valuable in any field, not just in technology. Moreover, as technology continues to evolve, having a basic understanding of how it works can give individuals an edge in various aspects of life and career.

Feel free to check out my game here and let me know what you think! Happy coding!

• Rowena Cuento

Hi Anna,

Nice work on the game in Scratch! It’s cool how it shows how actions lead to results. And you’re right about coding being important today. It’s not just about making software; it helps us think and solve problems. These skills are useful in any job, not just tech. And as tech grows, knowing even a little coding can really help. Keep it up!