EDTC 300,  Professional Learning

Navigating Daily Tech Habits

Striking a Balance Between Productivity and Leisure

Photo by Freelancer Vectors from Vecteezy

Given the significant role that technology now plays in our day-to-day lives, it’s crucial to understand how it influences our daily routines, both personally and academically. As a university student, my daily tech habits involve a mix of tools for productivity and apps for leisure. Here’s a look into how technology shapes my days and the strategies I use to balance its benefits and distractions.

Frequently Used Websites, Apps, and Online Platforms

In my daily routine, I rely on several websites and apps. Here are the ones I use most frequently:

While the majority of these are for leisure and social interaction, they play a significant role in my routine, providing relaxation and a way to stay connected with friends and family.

Tools for Organization and Productivity

To manage my academic responsibilities and stay organized, I use a few key digital tools:

• Digital Planner on iPad: This planner helps me map out my days, weeks, and months, keeping track of assignments, deadlines, and personal events.
  • Phone Calendar: Syncing with my digital planner, my phone calendar helps ensure I know where I need to be and when. It’s especially useful for setting reminders and alerts for upcoming tasks.

These tools are crucial for organizing my thoughts and maintaining a busy schedule. Features like colour-coding, reminders, and easy access across devices make them particularly effective.

Tackling Tech-Related Distractions

Despite the advantages, technology can also be a source of significant distractions. My biggest tech-related distraction is:

• TikTok: This app often consumes a large portion of my screen time. Its endless stream of engaging content makes it easy to lose track of time, impacting my productivity.

Other social media platforms also serve as procrastination tools. I often find myself spending hours on these apps before realizing how much time has passed.

Strategies to Minimize Distractions

Minimizing distractions is a constant challenge. Here are some strategies I’ve tried, with varying degrees of success:

• Screen Time Limits: I’ve set timers using the Screen Time feature on my iPhone. However, I often override these limits or find other ways to procrastinate.
  • Focused Work Sessions: Instead of relying solely on timers, I try to create focused work sessions. This involves setting specific goals for what I want to accomplish and taking breaks only after meeting these goals.

Balancing Screen Time for Academic Purposes and Personal Well-Being

Striking a balance between screen time for academic purposes and personal well-being is crucial. Here are some strategies I use:

• Background Noise: I often have Netflix or music playing in the background while studying. This helps me focus and provides a comforting backdrop without being too distracting.
  • Scheduled Breaks: Taking regular breaks away from my screens helps me prevent burnout. I use these breaks to stretch, take a walk, or engage in offline activities.

For additional insights on how to effectively balance work and life, I recommend watching The Way We Work.

This video provides practical tips and strategies to maintain a healthy balance between productivity and leisure.

• Mariia Selivanova

Hi Anna, I really enjoyed reading your post! It is very organized and easy to follow! Thanks for sharing your experiences with technology and how you balance between productivity and relaxation 🙂 I also use Netflix as background noise! To add to your startegies to miinimize distractions, I would reccomend turning on a “do not disturb mode” on your phone to avoid distractions from TikTok and other social platforms!

• Anna Van Winkoop

Thank you so much for your kind words and for sharing your thoughts! I’m glad you found my post organized and helpful. Turning on “do not disturb mode” is definitely a great suggestion for minimizing distractions, especially with the allure of social platforms like TikTok. It’s amazing how such simple adjustments can make a big difference in productivity.