EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Exploring Origami with TikTok

This week, I decided to try a different approach to learning origami by using TikTok. After exploring various resources like YouTube and the Origami Fold & Learn app, I was curious to see how the bite-sized, engaging videos on TikTok could aid in my learning process.

Platform Overview:

TikTok is a social media platform known for its short, engaging video content. It features a wide range of creators who share their expertise in various fields, including arts and crafts. I was excited to explore TikTok as a resource for learning origami because of its visual appeal and the potential for quick, easy-to-follow tutorials.

Projects Completed:

This week, I focused on several beginner to intermediate origami projects that I found on TikTok. Here are the specific videos I followed:

Paper Box
Butterfly
Magic Cube (Fail)
Pyramid

Advantages of Learning from TikTok:

• Concise Tutorials:
    • TikTok’s short-form videos are designed to deliver information quickly and efficiently. This format is perfect for learning individual folds and simple projects without investing a lot of time. Each video typically focuses on one project, making it easy to follow and replicate.
  • Visual Appeal:
    • The highly visual nature of TikTok is ideal for origami. Creators use various angles and close-ups to show each step in detail, which helped me understand the folding techniques more clearly. The creative presentation of the tutorials also made learning more enjoyable.
  • Wide Range of Creators:
    • TikTok has a diverse range of creators, each with their unique style and approach to teaching origami. This diversity allowed me to find tutorials that suited my learning pace and preferences. Some creators focus on quick, easy projects, while others offer more detailed, intricate designs.
  • Interactive Features:
    • TikTok’s interactive features, such as comments and direct messaging, enabled me to engage with creators and other learners. This interaction provided a sense of community and support, similar to what I experienced on YouTube.

Challenges Faced:

• Limited Depth:
    • While TikTok is excellent for quick tutorials, the platform’s time constraints can limit the depth of instruction. Some complex folds and projects require more detailed explanations, which can be difficult to fit into a short video. I often had to re-watch videos multiple times to fully grasp the steps.
  • Distraction Potential:
    • The endless scroll of TikTok can be both a blessing and a curse. It’s easy to get distracted by unrelated content, which can disrupt the learning process. Staying focused on origami tutorials required discipline and intentionality.
  • Finding Quality Content:
    • With so many creators and videos available, finding high-quality, accurate tutorials took some effort. Not all videos were equally informative or well-produced, so I had to spend time searching for reliable and clear instructions.

Reflection on the Learning Process:

Using TikTok to learn origami has been an interesting and rewarding experience. The platform’s concise, visually engaging content provided a fresh approach to learning that complemented the more detailed resources I used previously. Here are some of the key takeaways from this week:

• The quick tutorials are perfect for fitting learning into a busy schedule. I could easily watch and follow along with a tutorial in just a few minutes, making it easy to practice origami throughout the day.
  • The creative and dynamic presentation of TikTok videos made learning more enjoyable. The platform’s interactive features also fostered a sense of community, where I could share my progress and receive feedback.
  • To overcome the limitation of short videos, I re-watched tutorials multiple times and practiced the folds repeatedly. This iterative process helped reinforce my learning and improve my skills.
  • I took the time to follow and engage with reputable creators who consistently produced high-quality origami tutorials. This approach helped me build a reliable library of resources for future reference.

Personal Growth and Development:

• Adaptability:
    • Adapting to the short-form content of TikTok taught me to extract valuable information quickly and efficiently. This skill is useful not only for origami but also for other areas of learning and personal development.
  • Creativity and Innovation:
    • The diverse range of tutorials inspired me to experiment with different designs and techniques. I even tried creating my own variations of some projects, which enhanced my creativity and problem-solving skills.
  • Confidence and Accomplishment:
    • Successfully completing each origami project, especially the more challenging ones, boosted my confidence and gave me a sense of accomplishment. It was gratifying to see tangible results from my efforts and to realize my potential for learning and growth.

Looking Forward:

Reflecting on this week’s experience, I plan to continue using a mix of resources to enhance my origami skills. TikTok has proven to be a valuable addition to my learning toolkit, offering quick, engaging tutorials that complement more detailed instructional methods. Moving forward, I will explore more advanced projects and continue to engage with the supportive origami community on TikTok.

Thank you for following along with my journey. Stay tuned for more updates and insights as I delve deeper into the art of origami!