Social Media is ruining childhood?

Picture link

The second debate for the Edtech class was about this topic. I began this debate with the pre-vote as negative but changed when I listened to statistics about mental health and other problems that were quoted by the agreeing side. The solid evidence described confirmed to me that it is true that social media is adversely affecting the mental health of teenagers.

The documentary, The Social Dilemma emphasizes the same perspective and I watched it with growing alarm when I realized that I do see the same addiction depicted around me. Various studies also evidence similar perspectives and the debaters concluded that social media is ruining childhood.

Listening to the disagreeing side, I found a different perspective. Though they do enumerate the effects of social media, they also suggest parental control over what is being watched and how much of it is being watched. I agree with this but I find no evidence in the society of this happening as the easy way out for parents is to hand over the technology to children and get busy doing what they want to do.

It is not that social media is only bad for the children. One study from Odger & Jensen suggests teenagers forming social connections with others through social media. I noticed this in my Grade 5-6  class too.

Again, it comes down to how technology is being used. Policing the teenagers is not the answer. Possibly, making them understand that rules are for a reason and the reasons behind them will create an atmosphere of trust and therefore, understanding.

10 thoughts on “Social Media is ruining childhood?

1. Thanks for the post! I too found the Social Dilemma was an eye opener for sure. I do agree that social media is not going anywhere and parental control is needed to support children in navigating this digital age.

2. Thank you for this compelling post, Aradhana! Your reflections on the debate about social media’s impact on childhood were eye-opening. The points about mental health and addiction, supported by evidence and documentaries like “The Social Dilemma,” truly highlight the seriousness of the issue. I also appreciated your balanced view by considering the positive aspects of social media and the role of parental guidance. Your insights underscore the importance of responsible technology use and open communication with children. Keep up the great work in sparking these essential conversations!

• Thanks for your comment. I think each parent/ adult does need to watch “The social dilemma” to understand addiction.

3. You are right Aradhana, policing is not the answer. As we move into the Age of Surveillance, we can see the pushback. This is where keep teaching and good adult role models come into play. If our learners and children see us using the technology the right way and have a safe space to play around with it, they will be better at navigating the ills of the tech.

• Thanks Carol for this comment. Yes, I do feel that policing creates friction. Understanding and demonstrating oneself as an ideal role model is important. It is the mind that we must try and influence so as to see a real change. Children are smart these days.

4. I really liked that you stated your reasons for switching. One thing I was hoping to read, and maybe you can expand more on is your reasons for voting it as a negative in the pre-vote. I took a very strong side that it does but always like to hear reasoning as to why people think it does not (although a part of me is glad you changed lol). It really is crazy how addictive it is. I commented on another post saying I left my phone for about 8 hours one day and I was so productive but it really took me awhile to not look for it wanting to check it or to text someone. It really was a great way to spend my day. I have mentioned I am not much into technology but I love to stay in contact and text people throughout the day and I missed it, yet it felt amazing to not having anything “connected” to me.

• Hi Chloe. I do understand that social media is addictive but most of the schools in Regina have a balanced strict policy for use. In the First Nation Community I work, there is absolutely no use of mobile phones in classroom so the thought that social media is ruining childhood is not very imprinted in my thought process.