Debate #4- Cell phones be banned from the classroom.

Picture Link

Cell phones are being banned across Ontario and Alberta, with the discussion starting in Saskatchewan around the same topic.  The Debate #4 on 17th July focused on this very important question. It started with the agreeing side explaining their stance in the opening statement where they explained that mobile phones are needed for searching, for engaging with others, and many other reasons, but in the classroom, they need to be banned. They focused on three reasons for this.

In the class, they are a distraction, especially during instructional time. Many studies that have been conducted show a negative connotation between the uses of cell phones which are distractive to the advantages associated with them. At instructional time, the children are constantly checking their notifications and replying to them. Even

though the students are involved in social media through their phones, there is ever-increasing social isolation.

Cell phones inhibit academic performance. Studies depict that children who use mobile phones in class do badly in assessments. It affects retaining information and participating actively in discussions,  and children are unable to comprehend complex topics. Students want instant gratification which affects their motivation and can affect their critical thinking skills. Students either depend on AI-related apps or search engines to get information about the topic they are researching.

Students do not use the phone appropriately. Their actions create many problems for teachers and other students. There is also cyber bullying which causes a lot of distress to the person who is a victim. Poor mental health is a related symptom of excessive usage of phones and therefore, it should be banned.

On the disagreeing side, the debaters emphasized the pros of using phones. They spoke about content creation utilizing apps, multimedia, and collaboration with others. Various educational apps that foster learning and digital platforms that aid in learning and research. Supplemental lessons can be added into various streams and in that way, students who are facing problems can be helped.

Ontario has banned phones but they are still leaving it up to the schools to make the choice. For classroom management, mobile phones can be used as a reward system. When it comes to safety, in case of emergencies, mobile phones need to be there in the class. Various opportunities that are provided by phones include enhanced interaction and access to alternate spaces for instruction and work.

There were various videos and articles attached to the sign-up sheet for the debates. The first on the agreeing side was “There’s a cell phone in your student’s head” which emphasized how students use phones to solve math problems. Even when the phones were switched off, they influenced the students and their academic performance. There were some suggestions about placing the phone in another room creating an automatic physical separation.

The video on the cellphone experiment of middle school students demonstrated how cell phones cause major distractions in classrooms and students do not switch off from them. They also cause anxiety and can adversely affect student performance. As a solution, researchers suggest a 15-minute work time followed by a 1-minute free time. They also suggested tech-free zones.

A similar thought is expressed in the journal suggesting that cellphones have no place in the classroom. Most schools already have rules for the usage of cell phones, though they are finding it difficult to enforce. Cyber-bullying and its effects are evident in the article and the schools have now begun magnetically locking the phones after a related incident.

On the disagreeing side, the debaters had three articles/videos. The first one was “Should teachers be allowed to have cell phones in the classroom” which emphasizes how security is compromised if the teachers do not have cell phones in case of emergencies. Going further in the article, they question that if teachers can have phones in the class, then why can’t the students? Teachers can take responsibility for the students who have their cell phones.

The second video was about 9 reasons why cell phones should be allowed. It provides an additional tool for learning. It is important for safety. In case of emergencies, they can contact their parents. The next is improved communication between the teachers and students. It also helps in organization. Students stay focused with reminders and alarms. It also saves money for the schools. Teachers could digitize content and present it to the students.

The last one is about mobile computing in higher education. The article is a 2012 survey about how 67% of students view mobile devices as crucial for academic success, using them for accessing course content and enhancing their communication with co-students and teachers. The article emphasizes the bias held by people about how cell phones need to be banned despite the various help that they provide students and views this need to integrate technology with learning.

In conclusion, cell phones in class are a choice that needs to be left to school districts and administrators. But personally, I do think that they are a distraction and instead of having mobile devices, students could use tablets or laptops for search and other needs. In case of emergencies, a landline can be installed in each class that is connectable to the main office, or a two-way radio and a speaker phone are suggested alternates. I would prefer a no-cell phone policy.

Picture Link

6 thoughts on “Debate #4- Cell phones be banned from the classroom.

1. I agree – I get so frustrated when I am continually telling students to lock up their phones. I have a rule that if you lock it up then you will get 10 minutes after lunch to check any messages or whatever you need to do. Sometimes during math I will let them use if for a calculator or for music during independent work time. Some of my students are very good at asking for permission when they find they need to use it. I have a policy in place and it is shocking how many kids pretend they don’t have it and without fail I see them. if I see it, you lose all phone privileges; this means no checking, no music, no calculator – it is mine for the day. I had to have a happy medium with the cell phone usage because I found that if they were just going to get it taken away they didn’t see any difference in that than just keeping it. I sometimes have students who bring two phones thinking they get clever. It is just a constant management tool that I find unnecessary.

• Chloe. I completely agree with your stance on this topic. I also think that children try their level best to fool around with phones if given the chance. Working with them for this is the solution.

2. Hi Aradhana, I agree your idea. I also think children should enjoy their childhood, making friends, memory for life time. I want them to learn manners, gratitude and excel in education. Cell phone is crucially important for everyone. Cell phone is used starting from communication, learning aid, relief from boredom and last but not the least is taking pictures/ selfie. Although it is important but I believe children can spend 4/5 hours of their day without it for the sake of learning,

3. Hi Aradhana

You have provided a good summary of all the articles presented on this topic. I agree that cell phones cause major disruption in classrooms. But my question is why are they allowed in the classroom if not for academic purposes. I have seen schools with a BYOD policy, especially when the lesson is about a concept that the teacher sees important and the school has a way of managing how the students utilize their devices within the school premises. But I also think the policy was in the said school was effective because all stakeholders including parents and teachers were involved in developing this guide. In as much as technology has its disadvantages just like every good thing has both the positive and ngetaive side to it…my question still remains how can we as educators effectively maximize the use of cell phones in our classrooms and help students use these technologies responsibly?

• Hi Ayedole,
      Thanks for bringing this question. To me, cell phones in the classroom should be in pouches and kept away. Getting them out while independent work time is okay. But not in instruction. And yes, in Regina, I have seen optimum use of this policy. So, it ultimately depends on the teacher and administration as to how they handle a phone in the class.

4. Your summary of the debate on banning cell phones in classrooms effectively highlights the key arguments from both sides. The main takeaway for me is the importance of a balanced policy that involves all stakeholders, ensuring that cell phones are used responsibly while minimizing their disruptive potential. Considering the varied opinions on this issue, what are some practical steps schools can take to develop a comprehensive policy on cell phone use that addresses both educational benefits and potential distractions?