“Feed the Machine”

“Feed the Machine”

Little girl talking on the old phoneI remember a time when household phones were connected to the wall. We got our information for school projects solely from library books, and our assignments were all hand-written. In the last class, we discussed the YouTube video where Michael talks about what it would be like for someone if they were from a different era whose time travelled to today. I feel like there would be a lot of culture shock, but they would be able to adapt to our current time with some effort because humans are very adaptable creatures. Technology has brought us to a completely different world in a very short amount of time. With the introduction of YouTube and other platforms like TikTok, Instagram, Chatbtg, etc., students have immediate access to more networking and information than ever before.

Personally, I feel it is always important to remember the saying, “If you can’t fight them, join them.” Instead of controlling how much internet our students access in our classrooms, we should challenge them to see how each site or app can be used to their benefit for classroom time. In another class I took, a classmate said there was a way for students to collaborate on assignments with students their age globally. How cool would that be? We had pen pals back in my day. So, the idea that these students could speak in real-time with students their age and collaborate on an assignment together would be a really cool experience. I am unsure of the exact details, but I am sure it would be in a very controlled environment and safe if used in classrooms. This would be something to look into before using it in your classroom.

One thought on ““Feed the Machine”

1. Hi Amanda! I completely agree with the idea that technology is not going anywhere so we might as well spend our time and resources to teach students how to use the internet safely and effectively. I also think it can be a great tool for us as educators to stay connected with what cultural phenomena our students may be interested in and that way we can create more relevant lessons for them. I also believe that having real-time access to students your age from around the world is really cool idea! It would be excellent for a project where students must learn about other cultures in addition to doing their own research they would be able to get relevant information from someone their age who is currently living in that culture. Thanks for your post, I enjoyed reading it!