Press "Enter" to skip to content

The Start of Something New

I had a hard time figuring out what to focus on for the Learning Project. For some reason, I could not think of any skill that I wanted to improve or brainstorm a new potential skill that I am interested in learning. I came up with three potential skills that I could do: continue learning the Japanese Language, begin learning American Sign Language (ASL), or cook a particular cuisine that is foreign to me. At the end, I chose to focus on American Sign Language for this project. 

I already have some knowledge regarding the Japanese language. My second half of grade eleven was when the lockdowns and quarantines happened because of COVID-19, so my classes were all online. During that time, I developed a habit of finishing my schoolwork quickly. As a result, I had a lot of free time. I was also obsessed with anime during this time, so I figured that I should learn to speak, listen, and comprehend Japanese so I do not have to have subtitles on to watch anime. From that time to when I graduated high school, I learned the Japanese’s first two scripts (Hiragana and Katakana). I struggled when my learning transitioned to Kanji, Japan’s third script of characters borrowed from Chinese languages. The strokes of each character can be so complex that it becomes hard to keep up. So, I ended up giving up learning it. 

The thought of learning and cooking new dishes was very tempting as I love cooking. It is one of the things that I do to calm myself down or if I am bored. I used to watch several YouTube Channels, such as REACT and Best Ever Food Review Show, where they go on camera to try unique dishes from all over the world. I also like watching cooking videos on TikTok where they show quick recipes for meals that range from Western food to European food to Asian food. The only thing that prevented me from choosing this was the cost. The cost of buying groceries or even just simple necessities is so high. Ultimately, I chose to start my journey in learning about ASL since there are numerous resources that can be found online, so I do not have to spend money. 

I do not have much knowledge when it comes to American Sign Language. However, I did know a couple people back in the Philippines who used ASL to communicate with their peers, so they taught me a few things, such as how to sign the alphabet and members of the family. In addition to that I also know how to introduce myself in ASL, which I learned online from a random YouTube video that I watched long ago. Even though I was taught those things when I was younger, I still remember it to this day.  

After researching, I have decided to use four different tools for this journey. Regarding phone applications, I plan to use two apps called “Sign Language ASL Pocket Sign” and “ASL Bloom”. These are two of the most popular recommended applications by deaf content creators on TikTok. I have heard many positive reviews about these apps, so I hope that they help me with my learning, as well.  YouTube-wise, I plan to watch videos from two channels. Those channels are Bill Vicars’ channel and Jeremy Lee Stone’s channel. I chose Bill Vicars since I am already familiar with him and his videos. He is the reason I know how to sign my name and how to introduce myself. I found Jeremy Lee Stone’s channel after doing research. Many other deaf YouTube and TikTok content creators recommend him, so I hope his videos aid me in this journey. 

Title Inspired By: “Start of Something New” from High School Musical

1. Rowena Cuento Rowena Cuento

Hello Shan! Wow- I am really fascinated with how you ended up choosing ASL as your learning project. A part of me wishes that you’ve chosen exploring a new cuisine for your learning project so we can share our insights about the wonderful world of food. I am just curious- what cuisine would you have explored if you have chosen that path? However, your choice to do ASL is very practical as there are tons of online resources that would support your learning. It also shows your determination in picking up new skills, which is remarkable! I think that your proactive approach in your learning journey by utilizing the apps and online platforms will benefit you. Keep up that eagerness and determination in growing your skills. May this learning project be rewarding to you now and in the future! Good luck on this exciting path ahead! I’m looking forward to reading more about it!

• Allard Ashanti Madridejos Allard Ashanti Madridejos

I was actually going to pick different desserts from around the world, but now that I think about it, ASL is the right choice since I am a diabetic and can’t have much sugar.