Press "Enter" to skip to content

Technology, Trends, and Community

I think in terms of technology, it has changed the world both for the better and for the worse. It depends on how one looks at it. In terms of the good side of things, technology has helped with people’s jobs, education, transportation, communication, and more. News and information are easily accessible, so it is a way for people to educate themselves to be aware of what is happening where they live and what is happening in other parts of the world. Regarding the bad side of things, people should always double-check, triple-check, or even quadruple-check to see if the information they consume is factual. 

Regarding the new culture of participation, I feel like it is a great way to build a sense of community. Online, people can talk and gather even if they live in different parts of the world. A really great example of this is TikTok. TikTok has been a foundation of different communities and a plethora of memes that if you are too late in joining the app, one might encounter people or videos that reference something that happened prior to joining. In the lecture, Wesch mentioned a guy lip-syncing and dancing to a song, which the guy filmed using his webcam. Later, people started to recreate the video and they, too, danced and lip-synced to a song in front of a camera. I agree that this event is not a form of mockery, but a form of community. People are coming together by creating these videos to have fun and enjoy in a world where negativity is all around. When YouTube came in, people were uploading their videos of doing this trend and it became popular. Like Wesch said, the people came together, and they recreated and spread the guy in the original video’s happiness. 

Technology will be used in the classroom, no matter the circumstance. New tech is being invented every day, so many tech resources will be available for teachers to use to help make the student’s learning easier and more engaging. For me, I will utilize tech tools when I become a teacher. I have mentioned this before, but I will say it again. Math is not for everyone, so there will always be students that will be uninterested in learning it. For that reason, I plan to make learning math as fun as it could be using the tech tools that I can find online. At least this way, I can increase student interest and engagement. 

Students now are growing up alongside the improvement of technology. They are used to seeing technology no matter what they are doing or where they go. That is why I think using tech in our classrooms is important. Students are now comfortable in terms of using technology, so as teachers, why not use it to our advantage and use it to help their education?  

Be First to Comment