Summary of Personal Learning: A Semester of EDTC300 Learning Shrunk Into One Video

June 18, 2021 1 By Ashley Peterman

Hey everyone. Check out my summary of personal learning video! I have also attached the script (with links as references) below the video. If you click on this link, you will be able to view my Google slides used in the video as a reference. Enjoy!

Script

Educational technology. This is the term that I had associated the wrong definition with. I used to think that educational technology was the basic socializing with other teachers and using electronics in the classroom. But, this class completely changed my perspective on things. Referencing the slides on May 25, there was a quote by Alan Kay and it went like this: 

“Technology is anything that wasn’t around when you were born” 

This quote flipped the switch in my head. It changed my entire perspective on things. When I think about it, paper could have been considered technology YEARS ago. Even pencils. And what about chalkboards? Yes, we have SMART boards now but at one point in time, chalkboards and the idea of using chalk to write was seen to be life changing. Like it was the newest and greatest technology. Believe it or not, a world map could have been considered the newest technology. A way to finally see the entire world on one piece of paper. 

And we all know the old overhead projector? The ones that plugged in and then reflected onto the wall with light. There was no actual social media included with this technology. But it is still technology. 

As we move into the new generation, there are several things that have become the newest educational technology. Actually, a lot of these fit into the SAMR model when compared to older technology methods. How about the new projector today? Within the SAMR model, this can fit into the modification category because it is allowing for a significant task design. Between the new and old projector, the new includes a laptop to be hooked up. This allows for websites, videos, or even online photos to be shown to the students. Now, SMART boards would fit into the redefinition section of the SAMR model. While projectors allow for teachers to show online sources to the entire class, SMART boards allow for the creation of brand new tasks. Now, students can use these boards in a new way and actually touch the board, like they would touch the screen of an iPhone. This allows for students to not only see online sources, but play math games or several other things with a bigger screen. 

We obviously cannot forget about the social media apps that have been developed over years. These apps do create a cautionary approach with young students, but they aren’t necessarily bad. With these apps, educating our students on Ribble’s nine elements of digital citizenship has a greater importance. As well, we need to educate our students on digital identity and online safety. Students need to have access to these platforms to learn how to properly use them. A big thing with allowing students to have this access is ensuring that rules about online safety are enforced, but still allowing the students to be somewhat independent. 

Along with social media apps, I have been opened up to my own Personal Learning Network (PLN for short). Through Twitter, I can engage with other teachers and be opened up to a wide variety of resources. Actually, I was even noticed by some bigger organizations and people this semester such as Lee Airton, Flipgrid, Ziplet, and Gonoodle. I found this really cool how through my PLN, I am able to reach these people and organizations that easily! 

Just this semester, I have received so many resources through my classmates sharing articles online. I truly have learned the importance of having a PLN and all of the benefits. For example, I am able to gain knowledge that can enhance the learning in my classroom. I can even keep up to date with the newest advances in education in today’s world. There are so many benefits to having a PLN and I truly hope that some of my classmates continue to post on Twitter, because I know I will be! 

Lastly, chrome extensions. WOW is all I want to say. These extensions have made my life so much easier. OneTab came in handy so many times this semester when working on assignments. Mercury Reader was used with the articles shared in this class so that I could print the article easier. And U Block Origin. This extension literally changed my life. Now when I look at websites on my laptop, I don’t see those advertisements anymore. And how about screencastify? Well, I am actually using it right now to record this video which will then be edited into iMovie

Overall, I have learned so much this spring semester. Educational technology is so important and I am able to understand the several benefits for myself and my students. Hopefully, I am able to keep my PLN with some of my classmates this semester because I truly enjoyed having this network. Even if I don’t, I know I will still post on Twitter and hopefully network with more practicing teachers.