ECS 101 Stories From The Field

If I had to choose one word to summarize my first field experience at Walker Elementary School it would be unbeatable. Even though the experience was cut short by a few weeks due to the COVID-19 pandemic, my weeks that were spent in the classroom were unforgettable. The relationships that I was able to build with these students will forever have a place in my heart. Before I began ECS 100, I had an aspiration to be teaching a grade one class once my degree was completed. The field placements were released and I was placed into a grade one class, which was incredibly thrilling for me as I would be able to understand first hand what teaching grade one would be like. After finishing this field experience it is safe to say that I am still set on teaching a grade one class in the future. 

Throughout the field experience, I noticed that the focus question connected through the community and learning ability aspects. It was clear each week that many of these students come from a difficult home situation, which was displayed clearly in their learning. The community that surrounds the school faces some issues, creating difficult times for the students. However, the community in the school had a very close bond feeling to it. All of the students in the classroom seemed to display a relationship with the teacher that created trust. As for the learning abilities, each week it was obvious that many students faced difficulty in their learning. There were a few students that needed constant one on one support to understand what they are and to complete their work. Oftentimes, one on one support for these students was not available which resulted in the teacher pausing the lesson to assist and ensure that each student understands what is being taught. 

I felt that within class lectures and seminars, a major aspect in teaching that was constantly focused on would be inclusion for all. Inclusion is something that was demonstrated numerous times at the elementary school I was placed in. For example, some students in the classroom face some mental difficulties that cause anger within the student. To help prevent this from happening, the students in their art class would play the drums. This allowed for the students to release any emotions and everyone was able to participate. Throughout the five weeks of my field experience, there was never a time where I saw any student left out from an activity. 

The connections I made personally with the students were irreplaceable. As I mentioned earlier, these students will forever have a place in my heart. A highlight each week was arriving at the school and the moment the students noticed me, they would run up to me filled with excitement and give a huge hug. This field experience taught me that building a strong connection with your students is essential in order to have a productive, controlled, and enjoyable classroom. As well, I spent quite a bit of my time helping the students that struggled with their learning. Watching them get a question correct put a huge smile on my face.

I feel that the difficult part of this field experience is not being able to have that final goodbye. These students connected with me on a level that words do not do justice to explain. I will forever cherish the memories I made and those personal connections to each student. I will miss arriving to the school and immediately getting a warm welcome from the students. These students changed my life forever. I will never forget them and their stories that they shared with me.