Overall Reflection

As this inquiry project comes to an end, I would like to take a moment to acknowledge all of the experiences that I have encountered.

Challenges & Favourite Painting

At the beginning of my project, I brainstormed some challenges that might arise during the process. These challenges included the colours blending together, possibly running out of supplies, and frustration with myself if I am unable to create a desired piece.

Throughout the project, the only challenge that I had not faced was running out of supplies. I bought a lot of watercolour paint tubes before beginning with the assumption that they would be used up fast. However, the project has now ended and the tubes are still quite full. Additionally, quite a few of the colours have not even been opened up yet.

When I first began this inquiry assignment, I felt like watercolour painting would be something very beneficial to try since I have never done it before. At this time, I thought that watercolour painting was very simple and I would encounter very small challenges along the way. However, this was not the case. I experienced several challenges such as colours combining together, paper bending, colours being too dark, and more. With these challenges, I turned to the internet to have my questions answered. Through research, I discovered that taping the paper down to something before painting allows for the paper to not bend as much. Additionally, this allows helps with colours not combining together since the surface will remain flat. On my own, I discovered that using less water may also assist with the colours not combing as much. However, when I used less water, the paint colour became much darker. Therefore, I made the decision to still add the same amount of water to the paint. After dipping my paintbrush into the paint, I would rub it against the tray a few times to remove some of the excess water. This allowed for the colours to remain somewhat lighter and for less water to be used.

Lastly, there were a few times where I experienced frustration with myself while painting. This particularly occurred in week 8 when I painted a bunch of different fruits. I was frustrated with myself at this moment because the fruits did not turn out the way that I had planned. However, I reminded myself that I was just learning and have never painted/drawn before in much detail, so it is okay to make mistakes along the way.

Overall, my favourite painting would be from week 10. Since I did this painting during such a chaotic time of the semester, I was able to find joy in the small things. Forcing myself to sit down and carefully paint on squares/rectangles on the paper allowed me to calm down and take a deep breath. This was incredibly beneficial to do and I wish I had done more abstract paintings in the previous weeks. However, I have decided to continue this journey. Once my semester finishes, I plan to continue watercolour painting and possibly try more abstract techniques such as the one used in week 10.

Applications to the Grade One Classroom

Within my project, I used tube paint instead of pan paint. In a grade one classroom, I feel that it would be easier for students to paint with a pan instead of having to mix using the tubes.

Since I am planning to teach grade one in the future, I feel that it is important to find a way to apply watercolour painting into the classroom. In the first few weeks of this project, I painted very freely and just added different colours over the paper. To apply watercolour painting in the classroom, I feel that it would align closely with CP1.8 which is to “create art works that express own ideas and explore different forms (e.g., painting, drawing, printmaking) and media (paint, found objects)” (Ministry of Education, 2011, p. 22). This would also align within indicators (a) “identify and explore many different colours in own surroundings and in art works, and identify red, yellow, and blue as primary colours” (Ministry of Education, 2011, p. 22) and (b) “identify and explore many different textures, shapes, and forms in own surroundings and in art works (Ministry of Education, 2011, p. 22).

This will relate to indicator (a) since the students will be able to use a wide variety of colours in their watercolour paintings. For example, the students could create a watercolour painting using the three primary colours. Or, the students could create a watercolour painting using the colours of the rainbow as a craft around St. Patrick’s day.

The watercolour painting will also relate to indicator (b) because through the watercolour paintings, the students are able to explore several different shapes. For example, the students could paint basic shapes onto the paper which would include a circle, square, triangle, and rectangle. As the students progress, they could add more shapes into their paintings too. Additionally, the students can make note of different textures in their paintings depending on how it dries. For the texture, the students could paint only one layer of colour onto the paper. Then, beside this spot, they could add two layers of colour and continue to gradually add more layers. As the students add layers, they can make notes of how the texture changes.

I feel like watercolour painting would also be an amazing resource to calm students down at times during the day. Sitting down and painting something onto a piece of paper with no specific end goal allows for a combination of relaxation and creativity. If I notice that the students are getting a bit too energetic and need a moment to themselves, they could head to an area of the classroom where watercolours are set up. This may also allow for the students to communicate to me any feelings that they might be having. Through this painting, they can use certain colours or designs which might indicate how they are currently feeling. This is useful because oftentimes in grade one, students may not speak up if they are feeling discomfort. By allowing them to do watercolour painting, they can relieve some stress, calm down, and possibly communicate their feelings to me.

Conclusion

Overall, I am quite proud of how this project turned out. Although some challenges were definitely faced throughout the process, the learning experience was beneficial. These challenges faced will allow for to go into the classroom with a better understanding of watercolour painting and how I might be able to assist the students. I am excited to continue my watercolour painting journey and to apply it to my classroom in the future.