Of course, technology ENHANCES learning…. or DOES it?

Well, I know most people reading this will have been listening to or a part of the debates, but those who were not… you missed out. I want to preface my reflection by stating that I started class today feeling the opposite of what you are about to read. I needed more to be informed and that is just what we got in the debate! I can say with confidence that I was swayed in the debate, here is where I sit with the question does technology enhance learning?

Multi-tasking
As we were presented with research today during the debate I was forced to think of the many times I have struggled with keeping students on task when they have technology because it is simply just too easy to switch back and forth from applications. Even as I sat down to write this reflection, I had to put my phone behind me, shut the soccer game off on the TV, and attempt to ignore the 15+ tabs I have open to focus on this task. The No A 4 U article also explains that engaging in multiple media tasks at once limits one’s ability to achieve deeper learning or cognitively process the information in front of them (p. 7). For technology to enhance learning in the classroom it would need to be task-oriented, and this is no easy feat in today’s learning environments. I have had students watching YouTube series while working, listening to music, or messaging their friends back and forth while in the same room instead of being focused on the task at hand.

Instant feedback and the lost art of spoken word
There was great discussion in the debate today on the fact that student performance data/feedback does not have to come from a screen. Yes, it is easier to have students complete a task online and use that data to assess and provide feedback for both teachers and students. But do we think a one-on-one conversation to gain that feedback could be done? Would it be beneficial to hear directly from the student and be able to engage with them off a screen? I think so. In fact, what was brought up today was that spoken word is lost in students today when utilizing technology. Saskatchewan English Language Arts curriculum even asks teachers to assess students based on their ability to speak formally and informally in front of and with their peers and just how does this happen if we rely on the ease of technology to provide us digital interactions and assessment?

Shortcuts
Ironically, as I sit here writing a reflection online, I feel it is important to discuss the need for students to learn to write on paper. There is so much out there in regard to tagging, @’ing (is that a real term?), chat slang, and shortcuts that bleed into student writing online. Another resource shared in today’s debate argues that digital technology does have beneficial impacts, however, there are doubts that those positive impacts outweigh student writing that is becoming more inconsistent and unclear (p. 1). I think of this shortcut scenario in my grade 6/7 classroom as I will have so many typed out essays sent to me that make almost no sense and what it ultimately boils down to is my students are using the Google Docs autocorrect/suggestions to “help” them finish their essay. They are not understanding the edits the application is suggesting or proofreading afterwards because they trust those edits need to be made. Instead, if we read the essay together edits can be worked out on paper or suggestions can be made based on what I or my students hear when they read their work out loud, avoiding the confusion. I know there are probably suggestions or ways to work around this that my peers on the other side of the debate could maybe comment on?!

To wrap this first debate reflection up, I will say that I am interested in reading about what my peers think of my reflection and am lucky to be getting to read theirs to see what side they are on after such a great start to our summer of debates! Once again, catch y’all on the next one where I cannot wait to tell you how social media is ruining childhood…or is it?
To Be Continued written on yellow paper note

14 thoughts on “Of course, technology ENHANCES learning…. or DOES it?

1. Ashlyn,

I really enjoyed reading this blog post! You’ve done a great job describing how technology is impacting student learning in classrooms, particularly in language arts. I agree with you that kids just don’t know how to use the tech tools that are at their fingertips effectively. I think this is where our curriculum is failing our students. We have plenty of opportunities to use tech as an ‘add-on’ in our classrooms, but the foundational skills and teaching to use the tools just aren’t there.

1. Great to hear your thoughts on this Amy! Those foundational skills are super important and difficult to teach in the classroom. Some of my students will have general knowledge from home, but most will have never experienced it!

2. Hi, Ashlyn!

Great post! There are definitely pros and cons like you’ve mentioned. Your scenario where students are relying on the technology to help with their papers is intriguing. One thing that I can think of off the top of my head is by maybe altering the way you go about the process of the essays/papers? Do you require them to do a rough draft? They could write a rough draft out on a google doc/word and have them print it off. They could then exchange theirs with another’s and they could peer-review/edit in person and with pen. This would then require them to have to use their understandings of grammar/sentence structure that was built upon in prior lessons.

That’s just an idea and certainly not practical for every piece of writing, maybe just more major assignments.

Hetterley

1. Thanks for your thoughts on this Greg! To answer your question, I do have them handwrite a rough draft and in the beginning of the school year I will usually edit with students. However, I do like your idea of taking what they type and printing it for editing with peers. I appreciate you sharing your idea as it is always good to try something new!

3. Awesome reflection, Ashlyn! I agree, I think we need to think critically about whether technology always does enhance learning or if we sometimes use it as a crutch or ineffective replacement. There are DEFINITELY ways technology can enhance learning, but simply not in every single scenario!

1. Thanks for your thoughts on this. I agree with you that there are situations and scenarios where technology can be used for enhancement. Especially after reading so many of our peers’ great blog responses too!

4. Hi Ashlyn,
    Your reflection effectively captures the complexities of technology in education, highlighting both its potential benefits and challenges. You’ve thoughtfully considered multi-tasking distractions, the value of face-to-face feedback, and digital shortcuts in student writing. Your insights on balancing technology with traditional methods are compelling and provoke further discussion. Great job engaging with the debate and sharing your perspective!

5. Hi Ashlyn!
    Yes I can fully understand your meaning. Technology is such a mighty temptation that it is very simple to lose focus on the target. Oh, yes, there are shortcuts when it comes to writing and yes, they exist as they are. Sometimes I came across the essays, which were written using the autocorrected words as well! Conjunctly, reading and editing on paper will significantly improve the identification of errors.
    I appreciate your comments and blog. You have clearly mentioned everything as we shared in debate and you have shared your point of view very nicely.
    Thankyou and See you in class.

6. I think a lot about what it truly means to multitask. I also find that I like to have things playing in the background while I do work, whether that is the TV, a YouTube video, Spotify, etc. But I don’t actually think it is because I want to multitask. I think that I (maybe like our students) have a hard time sitting in silence because I have conditioned myself to be that way. I struggle to not have the audio stimulation – I find that silence is sometimes so loud. My husband is the same way – and at times he is playing a video game while watching a YouTube video on the same game. I wonder if it is just the comfortability with what can at times seem overstimulation, or that overstimulation is the new normal?

1. This is such a great comment Savannah, I had to read it a couple of times, maybe because I am ALWAYS multitasking as well! I very much relate to your comment that silence is loud. I often will go study/read/write in the middle of Starbucks, A&W, or Smitty’s (LOL)! I find it easier to focus on the busyness around me, which seems backwards. The idea that overstimulation might be the new normal is such a crazy, but true thought!
      Thanks again for sharing your thoughts Savannah!

7. Thank you for this insightful post, Ashlyn! Your reflection on whether technology enhances learning highlights some critical points about multitasking, the importance of face-to-face feedback, and the impact of digital shortcuts on student writing. Your balanced approach, considering both the benefits and the challenges of technology in education, is thought-provoking. Effective integration of technology requires careful planning and a balance with traditional methods. Keep sharing your valuable insights!