Final Course Profile, Modules, and Walkthrough

This course has been quite the journey. I have never done anything like what I’ve done in this course. I’m happy with my final course profile/prototype because one year ago, or even back in early fall, I’d never have thought that I’d put together an online/blended course with audio recordings, animation, and online discussion using a Learning Management System. I’ve done curriculum, course, and resource development before, but not online/blended design.

I had to teach myself a lot of the technology and tools that I used to put together my course, Indigenous Women: Past and Present. I’d never even heard of Canvas before this course. I’d used Moodle and D2L as part of courses that I’ve either taken or instructed, but I’ve never designed a course within these platforms. The courses that I’ve instructed online had set syllabi, content, and materials.

This project entailed my learning to use Animaker. I chose to use it as a learning tool in my course not only to challenge myself but so that I could include a fun yet applicable learning tool for learners. I thought it fit well for the activity and content. It presents a glimpse into an old story using animation, which is a useful tool to reach a lot of learners in today’s technological world.

I had the initial idea of this course from awhile back, but I had no content for it, so that was also part of my creation process; not to mention. trying to complete all of the textbook and recommended readings so that I could apply theory and principle to my design choices. It was intimidating (and overwhelming), but certainly very useful as it enhanced my skill set and knowledge.

The course is on the LMS, Canvas. It utilizes Canvas features:

• Modules (provides visual organization and easier navigation of units, modules, and activities)
  • Pages
  • Assignments
  • Discussion
  • Calendar
  • Audio recording (used for accessibility purposes)
  • Syllabus (placed my course profile/prototype in this section)
  • Prerequisites (students must complete previous module before the next module is available)

My course has changed a bit from what I had initially completed for the first submission. I took some of reviewer feedback and applied some suggestions including the utilization of the Canvas calendar to give a brief look at when the course will begin (January) and how it will run over time (ending with a final project in mid-May or June). I really liked Jacquie’s use of a calendar to layout her course, so I was inspired by her use of a course calendar to organize materials/modules.

You can see the changes (and growth) in my course from our first submission in January to the second submission in February to our final submission this week. I must say, I am feeling overwhelmed and tired. It’s a lot as an older student to be staring at a computer screen while at the same time teaching myself how to use most of these tools. I’m definitely feeling cognitive overload, and experiencing extremely tired eyes.

Here is my initial blog post of my course profile/prototype:

My January 25th Blog Post – Course Profile

Here is my second blog post on the second submission of the course profile/prototype that consists of the two modules. It has a PDF link that provides the overview:

My February 16th Blog Post – IWPP Course Profile and Shell (Two Modules)

Below is my final course profile/prototype and overview in PDF format but it is also available under “Syllabus” on Canvas within my course, Indigenous Women: Past and Present.

Donna Beyer. Final Course Profile Prototype. EC&I 834. docx

Here is a link to my course on Canvas (but I will need to add your email to the course for anyone to access so just comment on blog post with your email and I’ll add it):

Indigenous Women: Past and Present (on Canvas)

Here is a link to my Screencastify of my course:

Screencastify of Indigenous Women: Past and Present on Canvas

Ekosi. Thank you for reading and listening! And I hope that everyone does well on their final course submission.

3 thoughts on “Final Course Profile, Modules, and Walkthrough

1. I agree with you that this course has taught us a lot of things. I’m from a very different environment where education is largely based on conventional methods. But I feel proud and happy that we have learned so many new things, which we can use in our classrooms. Learning can be made considerably simpler with the aid of these technological resources, platforms, and tools.

2. I love how organized and well laid out your course is. I also feel like I could learn so much from it and would love to take it! I love the variety of teaching materials for students and how you have worked to get conversations happening in your digital classroom. Excellent.

3. I congatulate you on this course creation! Your dedication and passion to this content shines through the course and your students are so lucky to have such a dedicated teacher like yourself. I hope to find out how this course works out when applying it to the students. The organization and content is clear, I believe you will have lots of success!