Part Two – Selecting the Perfect Material: A Guide to Crafting Ribbons Skirts

May 22, 2024 2 By Avery Kotylak

Welcome back to our ribbon skirt adventure! In the last post, I embarked on a journey to unravel the threads of tradition, exploring the cultural significance and symbolism behind the iconic ribbon skirt. Today, we’re rolling up our sleeves and diving into the practical side of things as we gather the essential supplies needed to bring our vision to life.

1. Fabric: The foundation of the ribbon skirts, the fabric choice is essential. In Saskatchewan, we’re fortunate to have access to a variety of online fabric stores that offer a wide selection of materials. Places like Fabricland, Michaels, and local quilt shops are great resources for finding the perfect fabric for the skirts. Let’s explore their aisles (websites) and see what catches our eyes.
  2. Ribbon: The colourful ribbons are what make ribbon skirts truly stand out. While craft stores carry a selection of ribbons, let’s also consider exploring Indigenous-owned businesses and online stores that specialize in Indigenous crafting supplies. Websites like Bead Plus in Saskatoon or Indigenous-owned Etsy shops offer a fantastic range of ribbons in vibrant colours and unique patterns that will add a special touch to my ribbon skirt.
  3. Thread: A good quality thread is essential for ensuring our skirts withstand the test of time. Finding good quality thread on Amazon is a great resource with a variety of colours to match my fabric choice.
  4. Sewing tools: While creating ribbon skirts doesn’t require fancy equipment, having the right sewing tools on hand will make the process much smoother. Again we can go to our local sewing shop or order offline through apps such as Amazon to find what we need. The essential tools are fabric scissors, measuring tape, and a sewing machine. Luckily I own a sewing machine so I did not have to go out and purchase one!Image of supplies to make a ribbon skirt

Now that I have researched all the supplies needed to make my ribbon skirt, the most difficult step has come, and that is making a selection of what material I want. So I took in some of these considerations:

1. Fabric choice: I considered the occasions and climate, since I live in Saskatchewan the weather can vary greatly, so I opted for breathable cotton for summer, as that is when I would wear it.
  2. Colour Coordination: Saskatchewan’s stunning landscapes inspire us with its vast prairies and clear blue skies.
  3. Cultural Significance: As I embark on this project, I will honour the Indigenous cultures and traditions of Saskatchewan by incorporating ribbons that hold personal or cultural significance.

With the supplies in hand and the creativity, I am ready to start my journey on this ribbon skirt crafting adventure right here. Stay tuned for, my next instalment, where I’ll dive into the art of taking measurements and laying out the design.