Using online learning technology and tools for distance education.

This week’s lesson was on tools for online and distance learning. Just as the presenters indicated during the section, distance or online education encompasses various methods of delivering educational content remotely, primarily through digital technologies and the Internet. The presenters also talked about how the use of online learning in distance education reflects the social constructivist principles of learning through social interaction and discussion.

Image from https://blog.simplitaught.com/online-learning-tools/

This approach has gained prominence, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, as it allows for flexible learning opportunities while overcoming geographical barriers. Reflecting on my own context as a teacher educator, I have had the opportunity of using Blackboard Collaborate as a Learning Management System (LMS) and Microsoft Teams for blended and online learning. These two tools were recommended for use by the institution, and I find them very useful. Just as indicated in one of the provided resources, using Microsoft Teams for education offers a user-friendly interface and collaborative features that facilitate lively interaction among students and teachers. This fosters effective communication and enhances learning outcomes. The Microsoft Teams application also provides seamless access to cloud storage folders like OneDrive and tools like Word and Excel. The application also provides the opportunity to create and manage team sessions and assignments and integrate additional productivity tools like forms, polls, Kahoot, and YouTube videos to enhance learning. Another reason I like this Microsoft Teams tool is that I find it very easy to share and work together on documents with colleagues in real life, and it also has chat features that can be used as a discussion board.

This Photo by Unknown Author is licensed under CC BY-SA 

Reflecting on how Black Collaborate was used, I remembered that the platform allows lecturers to upload content, and students could download, watch, or playback these contents at their own convenience. So students are able to control the space at which they learn; even after the lecture has been completed, they can go back to access the lesson recordings and additional reading materials provided for the course. I think this also helps students to sometimes have the autonomy of pausing and reflecting on their learning before moving into the next phase of their self study. In addition, the collaborate platform also allows students to do online formative and summative assessments. Reflecting on the lesson presentation, issues related to access to these tools and how they could impact learning were discussed. I think everything in life comes with benefits and challenges, and as individuals, we are to choose what we desire. Based on the context of where I have used these tools, the institution provides free access to the tools provided students are using the registered institution’s ID. Nevertheless, the issue of broadband and sometimes the cost of getting network connectivity has always played out just as discussed during the presentation, and I think that cannot be changed. However, I think these online learning tools have made distance education more accessible for students, even in remote areas.

2 thoughts on “Using online learning technology and tools for distance education.

1. Hi
    I like the way how you explain all the facts so precisely in your blog. i do agree with your view that online learning tools has made the education accessible for everyone.

Thanks
    Ayushi Rana

2. Nice write-up, Ayodele! You’ve very well explained how tools like Microsoft Teams and Blackboard Collaborate can transform online learning by enhancing flexibility and interactivity. Your insights on how these platforms align with social constructivist principles are relevant too, especially the ways they encourage collaboration and allow self paced learning. I appreciate how you reflected on both the benefits and the challenges, such as connectivity issues, which impact access to these resources. Your perspective as a teacher educator adds to understanding how these tools support student autonomy and engagement. Good work!