Course Reviews

“Strive for continuous improvement, instead of perfection.“

– Kim Collins

Thank you for the Feedback!

Over the past weeks we presented our modules in class to small groups for feedback and then had two classmates share more detailed written feedback to each of us regarding our course shell, profile, and modules.

First off, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who was able to ask questions and provide valuable feedback to help me critically evaluate my design. This task was time consuming and took a lot of focus, so I really appreciate the deep thinking that went into the suggestions that were offered. Each reviewer took the time to look closely at my course design and comment on aspects such as organization, appearance, and ease of use.

yellow letter tiles on blue background
Photo by Ann H on Pexels.com

Feedback Suggestions

The feedback I received gave me a lot to consider as I streamline module one and continue to work on my second module for this course.

One question that was asked was, “How will students know or be taught the background information about growth mindset or how to set goals?” Even though I discussed why dreams and goals are important, I did not include enough information about growth mindset, or how to set goals. As I ponder where to add this valuable information within my course it has me considering a slightly different organization and labeling of my unit and lessons to keep it organized but also contain all the necessary information.

Another point that was made during the review was regarding the synchronous and asynchronous capabilities of this course. My original plan was that the course could accommodate both in-class learning or learning from home but upon further reflection, I would like to teach the course synchronously, in-class. As was pointed out in the review, when this class is taught synchronously and in-person, more authentic discussions with peers, small groups or whole groups could take place. Sharing our goals with peers or in small groups also helps us to stay more accountable for what we are trying to achieve in the way of goals.

Google slides instead of Google docs was another suggestion that was offered during my review. I originally chose Google docs so that students would not struggle to stay organized, and all materials would be located and recorded in one central spot. Perhaps, I need to investigate Google slides more in-depth so I fully understand the capabilities of this tool and then can make a more informed decision of which tool to proceed with.

Another suggestion to increase student interactions was chats within Google Stream. It was suggested that is a great space for students to post questions and chat while it can easily be monitored by the teacher. Student to student interaction is essential and is something I did not incorporate enough into module one, so I will be acting on this suggestion.

Lastly, our class last week addressed accessibility. Although I made some considerations within my course profile for access to technology or EAL students, I did not consider the needs of all learners. While reading chapter 9 from our Bates text I was reminded that if Universal Design standards are followed, the needs of a diverse mix of learners will be met. As I move forward with the planning for the rest of my course, I will need to ensure I have offered a range of options for student learning and that different abilities have been considered. It is essential to gather as much information about the learners as possible before the class begins to plan accordingly. Just as differentiation is essential in every classroom, it is also important for the success of online and blended classes and therefore requires extra consideration.

Thank you again for the feedback, I look forward to incorporating these ideas and suggestions into my planning as I continue to plan and streamline my course modules.

I am always open to feedback. If you have any other thoughts or suggestions you would like to share regarding my course or have something to add to the suggestions above I would love to hear from you.

Tags: