I grew up in a small town an hour away from Regina. I’m the second oldest kid of my family, with one older brother, one younger brother, and one little sister. I’m currently 19, studying to become a high school math teacher through the University of Regina. If you want to know the story of how I became a teacher, this post might interest you. Instead of rehashing that, I’ll tell you about the other parts of my life.

For starters, I’ve been working since I was 14 years old. I started off as fry cook at my local rink, before I moved on to waiting tables at a local restaurant when I turned 15. Over the summers I was a fry cook / ice cream scooper at a small beach store at a lake my family frequented. When I finally moved to the city, I set out to become a bartender. At the time I was 18 years old, so I had to bide some time until I turned 19. Finally, a couple months ago, I finally got my chance to do so. Check out my learning project to see my journey of actually learning the job.

Like most kids in Canada, I played hockey at a very young age. Unfortunately for me, I wasn’t great at it. None of my siblings were. This prompted my parents to take us out of hockey and find something new for us to do. When I was about 9 or 10, my parents started us in boy scouts and judo. Eventually, I dropped both when I started playing school volleyball and broomball. I’ve also always loved skiing and… watersports? Not sure what the blanket term is for “boating, and getting dragged behind a boat on ski’s, boards, or tubes”. Broomball has been the biggest sport for me out of all of these. If you’re unfamiliar with the sport, I don’t blame you. Its not very large, with only 3 teams in Saskatchewan. However, with there being so few teams, I’ve made it to nationals twice.

As a future teacher, I hope to inspire students like my teacher have inspired me. Above all else, I believe that respect must be a two way street as a teacher. You have to be able to treat your students with respect, or you can’t expect them to respect you. Honestly, when I was young I never expected to be a teacher, but here I am. And I got to say, I’m excited for what’s to come.