ECS 203

Queering the Curriculum

How might we begin to address the ways in which the systems that we teach our curriculum in are intrinsically homophonic, transphobic, biphobic and oppressive towards queer and trans people?

What does integrating queerness into curriculum studies mean to you? What will it look like, sound like, feel like in your classroom?

Which rule/discourse should the teacher follow: providing the duty of care for all students, or maintaining a classroom free from any notion of sexuality?

I believe that the first step towards addressing the ways in which the systems that we teach our curriculum in are intrinsically homophonic, transphobic, biphobic and oppressive towards queer and trans people has already started with what we are doing now in university. Instead of ignoring the problem, the University of Regina Education department has taken an active approach to address this problem through education.  Becoming educated on a topic is the best way to prepare an individual to challenge the oppression they will come across in the future.  As we graduate and become professional teachers, the knowledge we are learning today will allow us to recognize and change the oppressive natures that are still present in the education system.  We can take this knowledge we have learned in our university studies and pass it on to our students to create a more welcoming and positive environment. 

To me, queering the curriculum means teaching and exposing students to many different perspectives.  Moving away from the traditional, European, heteronormative approach to teaching and learning would be beneficial to all students, especially since Canada is such a multicultural, multiracial, and diverse country.  And instead of being the sole facilitator of these discussions, I will try to create an environment that encourages my students to share their unique perspectives.  One way I would like to try and accomplish this is by taking a more Aboriginal, land-based approach to teaching and learning.  I believe there is a lot of benefit to learning outside of the classroom, especially in a time like this where kids are really limited inside the classroom because of COVID-19.  Another way I would like to do this is by normalizing the topics of gender, sex, and sexuality, and standing up when instances of homophobia arise.  Having an LGBTQ+ flag displayed in the classroom, discussing influential LGBTQ+ people in my lessons, and looking at and discussing current events regarding LGBTQ+ topics are just a few of the ways I can accomplish this. 

Maintaining a classroom free from any notion of sexuality is undoubtedly the wrong choice.  That is what the education system has been doing for decades, centuries even, and it is not working.  Hate and ignorance are still rampant throughout our society.  Providing the duty of care for all students is not an optional part of teaching.  It is teaching, and providing that care for all students is what it means to be a teacher.  By continuing to ignore the problem and continuing to teach in a way that is free from any notion of sexuality contradicts the notion of providing care for all students.