EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Making the Perfect Omelette

This week was a bit of a difficult week to do a big meal for my learning project as I have done in previous weeks, but I still managed to get some practice time in the kitchen in. On Thursday, March 4th, me and my girlfriend gained possession of the house we had bought in January.  This past week has been an incredibly busy week of packing, painting, doing home renovations, and moving.  When we finally got somewhat settled on Tuesday, I needed a recipe for my learning project that did not require many kitchen supplies or ingredients (our new kitchen is pretty bare in terms of cooking tools and groceries).  Luckily, I stumbled upon a blog called the “Reluctant Gourmet.”  On this blog, I found a post titled “How to Make A Perfect Omelet.” Perfect, an omelette only needs a few basic ingredients and a pan!

I have tried to make omelettes before but to no success.  I almost always ended up making scrambled eggs halfway through cooking because of how poorly the flip turned out, but this time was different, and I can largely credit that to the Reluctant Gourmet’s blog.  For this recipe, all I used was some butter, 3 eggs, salt & pepper, some shredded cheese, and a pan (I usually like my omelettes with peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, ham, and green onions, but this week I, unfortunately, did not have any of those things on hand).  I used butter and a bit of canola oil to grease up my pan, and then I mixed in the egg and salt & pepper mixture. I cooked this over medium to low heat while I continually dug around the edges so that it did not stick. After a few minutes, I shredded some cheese onto the pan, and after letting that cook for 1-2 minutes, I was able to successfully flip the omelette without turning it into a scrambled egg mess. I usually like my omelettes served with some cut-up fresh fruit, but this past week we were running on the bare necessities, so I served it with some buttered toast and some salsa.

Overall, I really liked using another blog to enhance my cooking skills. The nice thing about Reluctant Gourmet’s blog is that he incorporated a ton of videos into his blog. Because of this, I did not have to browse the internet myself wasting time looking for videos that would work–it was all right there in front of me. Another positive about a blog compared to using a video to learn is that you get a more personal experience. When reading through cooking blogs, the author can give you some tips and tricks they found while making the recipe. A video is usually fast-paced and you do not get this personal experience.

Because of this blog, I think I figured out where I went wrong with previous omelettes. My first mistake was using pam cooking spray in the past instead of cooking oil and butter; the pan needs to be really greasy in order for the flip to go well. In the past, the omelette would just stick to the pan. The second thing I did wrong in the past was that I used too small of a pan. The pan needs to be bigger than one would think so that the egg mixture is thin enough to be flipped. I originally did not plan on using cooking blogs throughout the duration of this project, but my experience this week was a positive one, so I can definitely see myself using a different cooking blog in the future.

This week’s ratings (just me this time):

7/10- As I mentioned previously, I usually like my omelettes with a little more ingredients, but this was still good. It was cooked perfectly and unlike past attempts, the end product resembled an omelette and not scrambled eggs.

Here is the video I used on the Reluctant Gourmet’s Blog to make my omelette:

Thanks for reading!

• Jesse Braden

Hey Brenden,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog. The omelet looks delicious. Omelets are something that I really enjoy but have struggled to make in the past for some of the same reasons you mentioned. I would also use Pam spray and it would always stick to the pan. I will definitely use olive oil and butter in the future and I will have to try this recipe next time. Thanks for sharing.

Jesse

• bsa898

Hey Jesse,

Thanks for the comment! Yes, I would definitely switch from Pam to oil and butter. Also do not be afraid to add a lot; you really want the pan to be slippery so it doesn’t stick when you go to flip your omelette. You also want to make sure you get the sides of the pan nice and greasy as well so it doesn’t stick to the sides.

–Branden

• Ian Mansfield

Great post Brendan. I clicked on the link so fast when I saw it was an omelette, I LOVE omelettes :)!!! It sounds like you have a lot on your plate with moving into your new house, so good on you for keeping up with your blog. Congrats on getting possession of your house! I bet you are so excited. Keep up the good work man, talk to you soon.
    Ian

• bsa898

Hey Ian,

Thanks for the kind words! My girlfriend and I are both extremely excited to be in our new house. The past few weeks have been a ton of work (I’m so sick of painting), but the house is finally starting to come together quite nicely now. I would’ve liked to have done something a little bigger for my learning project last week, but as I mentioned in the post, I just didn’t have the groceries or the kitchen tools at the time to do it, but a simple omlette worked out quite well, and it turned out. Also, no worries about the name mishap; it happens quite often!

Thanks for the comment,

–Branden