Reading Response # 1

A treaty person is someone who is included in or responsible for a treaty. This includes all people who received and give in a treaty, so all members included: ‘whites’, ‘brown’, ‘black’, members, negotiators, etc…. This notion or belief leads me to understand myself, as someone who gave and received in a treaty, because speaking for myself, my father was aboriginal; although physically, I am ‘White’ because of my mother, my aboriginal side of the family gave up what they had, while the ‘White’ side of my family received and benefited from this trade.

An extraordinary quote from the article Racism – It’s a Canadian Thing “accept that racism must be challenged relentlessly, not papered over.” This quote highlights an important message, that ‘racism’ should be accepted, acknowledged, and challenged, because far too often, racial minorities suffer the worst. For example, Aboriginal plebs earn an average of $19,000, while ‘White’ plebs earn on average of $33,000. Why do Aboriginals earn less compared to ‘Whites’? Well, Aboriginals are viewed negatively due to their accent, racial, cultural, and finally, ‘socio-economic’ status. The most appalling information that I have learned, is that African-Canadians and Aboriginals represent 34% of the incarcerated population. Despite only being 7.3% of the total population. Why are so many ‘Brown’, and ‘Black’ individuals incarcerated? Most likely, for the same reason why they earn less because of the negative stigma, that is attached to them.

I am beginning to see ‘racism’ as a global and systematic issue, instead of as a local issue. ‘Racism’ is starting to appear more like an insecurity mechanism. It seems like genetic differences, tends to appear threatening and domineering towards others. Systematically, it is impossible to eradicate, globally. However, reducing the overall total number of ‘racist’ individuals, should start a ‘Tea Pot Effect’ that, gradually, pushes ‘racism’ lower into the minorities. Hopefully, eradication will follow after this. ” In order to change stories, society must change, first [sic]” ( King, 2003). Systematically though, I have always viewed ‘racism’ as an institutional tool, used by socialist right wing thinkers (which is usually the majority group, of their respective nation) to keep power, but what should Canadians do, to reduce and fight our own systematic and global ‘racism’? Should we be persuasive and influential, or hostile and aggressive?

‘Racism’ is a Canadian problem systematically, locally, and provincially.

6 Replies to “Reading Response # 1”

1. Brandon,
    I feel as though you have touched upon the racism within Canadian society well. It’s quite a shock to see such statistics about Canada as it’s portrayed to be one of the nicest places.

The quote that you highlighted and analyzed about racism “should be accepted, acknowledged and challenged” may need to be worded differently. I feel as though “accepted” isn’t the correct word to use, maybe even expanding on your idea of what you meant on accepting racism.

Canadian society is run in hierarchy systems, which contributes to the ongoing racism for the majority of minorities. Many who are confronted with their acts of racism become hostile, arguing that their idea came off misinterpreted.

Trying to reduce the Canadian systematic racism could only begin with challenging those of the hierarchy staus. I feel as though if we tried to be persuasive and influential the idea to diminish racism would be lost and aggressiveness and hostility would be the next mode of action. What do you think should be done?

2. I am, generally, against bullying and coercion. The enemy is the ideas, not the people who are misguided. We urge you to understand, that society can be changed, but we have to change the way people think, first. Also, I will always support freedom of expression and speech, even if I, respectfully, disagree with the individual. However, that will not stop me, from challenging those ideas; in other words, I support persuasion and influence.

3. Brandon,
    I agree with your statement “‘Racism’ is starting to appear more like an insecurity mechanism. It seems like genetic differences, tends to appear threatening and domineering towards others.” As the world evolves and gender/sexual identity becomes fluid I would like to believe that these differences would dissipate.
    I think I tend to be a little naive when it comes to racism. I am realizing that I am such a hippy and just want every one to love each other and find peace within themselves… Obviously this is easier said than done and history proves that well but I do believe that as we raise kids or teach them in a classroom that we can create a space where everyone feels equal even if it is just within our four walls.

4. Brandon,
    I agree with what you are saying in your response about racism, specially that part were you talked about negative stigma, that is attached to them. You are right when you say “genetic differences, tends to appear threatening and domineering towards others” because people hold the purse tighter or go to the other side of street when they see some one of a certain race walking towards them. To change the racism that is so deeply rooted in your country we need to change the mind of the next generation because they are the future of your country. As future teachers I feel we have to take both paths, we need to be persuasive and influential with students, but still hostile and aggressive towards the racism in this country.

5. Thank you Brandon for your response!
    While reading this I have learned a lot about you but also about very disturbing statistics about the place that I call home.
    Racism is such a uncomfortable and charged topic and such a big problem we have is that most people do not want to talk about it. In your piece you write about how extraordinary you find your first quote “accept that racism must be challenged relentlessly, not papered over.” taken from Racism – It’s a Canadian Thing. I agree with your statement of how racism should be accepted, acknowledged and challenged. From what I understand of what you mean, as a nation we need to accept that racism exists. We need to acknowledge the part we play in it and we need to challenge the way we act and how people of colour are portrayed in the media.