Self Story # 3 A withered and trapped tree.

The snow covered the ground. The city lights, barely, flickered through the window because of the back alley. The cold winds blew against my window, and ice started to form from both sides of the glass. The furnace in the apartment building was broken, and the landlord was two months late, from the date he promised for it to be fixed. My room was cold and damp; I had a small electric heater, which generated heat slowly. The hallways were bare and freezing at – 45 degrees Celsius.  I ran the tap of my shower, and the heat collided with the cold air, which created a cloud of fog. I noticed an old tree that barely stood up, and I wondered if that tree felt poor. I had very little to eat, just some cheese and wine. I wore my winter jacket and pants to bed so that I would not freeze. In order, to drawn out the screams and banging, from my schizophrenic neighbor, I used ear plugs. It helped with tolerating the screaming and banging on the walls and my door. My apartment was cheap and affordable, but many disadvantages came with the cost: the constant knocking at the drug-dealer’s door, which was down the hall; to the constant police raiding and searching of my many neighbors.  How could I forget the broken furnace, which was two months late being fixed?

I remember being the only co-worker being laid-off, after being the only co-worker putting in overtime and aid. I remember being talked down to, by older senior employees. I remember starving for four days, while in high-school and after graduation, so that I could afford rent and bills. My pockets were clearly empty. I could barely afford my own rent, for the place without heat for two months. I looked outside while it was snowing. An old man sat outside, he was an alcoholic. I felt sympathy and fear because the only difference, between us, was his alcoholism and homelessness.

I watched a rich man and women, drive up to the grocery store with their brand new vehicle. The air, suddenly, started to warm up. I remember owing the government $1000 in taxes for three, whole, years straight. Yet I, rarely, ever visited the doctor. I watched as arrogant and egotistical individuals, flaunted their wealth during social gatherings; like their wealth meant very little. I heard some relatives complain about paying back $3000 in taxes, while making over $500, 000 a year; however, I struggled to pay back $1000 in taxes in three years, while making only $24, 000 a year. I watched a poor old tree that, barely, had life, wither away during those three years. Sadly, I felt a connection to that tree. While I was outside, I used the last bit of my water, in my water bottle, to water the tree. I watched the tree slowly die during the months to come. A half dead leaf fell to the ground, and I wondered if this was foreshadowing….

One Reply to “Self Story # 3 A withered and trapped tree.”

1. Hi Brandon! I enjoyed reading your story. There was excellent use of rich language in your text. You were able to help me visualize your situation at the time, and the room you were living in. Your description of “the screaming and banging on the wall from my schizophrenic neighbor,” and of sleeping in your winter jacket and pants made me very aware of the conditions you were living in at the time. The only thing I may have added would have been how the hallways smelled. The tree was an interesting visual and an excellent artifact, useful in allowing the reader to understand what your emotional state may have been at the time. Were you somewhat hopeless and depressed?

Your story reminds me of times when I lived in similar situations, and felt similarly frustrated with my circumstances. It also displayed both sides of a narrative norm. Your side, of living in poverty and the sadness and frustrations that go with it, and the side of the wealthy, where they appear to be looking down on those with nothing, and flaunting their wealth (such as the wealthy people who drove to the grocery store in their brand new vehicle. )

Well written, and I sincerely hope that your circumstances have improved since then, and will continue to improve!