My name is Brianna Kutas and I am a white, able-bodied, straight, middle-class, cis-woman currently living on Treaty 4 territory. As a future educator, I believe the purpose of education is highlighted by Orr in the reading “What is Education For?” which says “the goal of education is not mastery of subject matter but mastery of one’s person” (Orr, 2011). It is about creating lifelong learners and the personal development of the students in all aspects of life. I think that it is of utmost importance to have an inclusive classroom with a safe environment where all students feel welcome. As mentioned in “Inclusivity is Not a Guessing Game,” Vaught states that “making classrooms and schools safe for all students is an exercise in lifelong learning and listening” (Vaught, 2017). My pedagogies will involve engaging with place-based learning and inquiry-based learning, as well as discomfort and anti-oppressive education to work towards social and ecological justice. It is necessary that I consider the differences in learning abilities of all students and take into consideration the possible diversity, such as race, class, ability, mental health, gender, and sexuality. This makes it essential for myself to recognize my privileges with regards to my social positions so I can be aware of how this influences my view of the world. I also believe it is important to emphasize Treaty Education in all aspects of learning and teaching. Along with this, it is essential for students to recognize their personal treaty relationships and responsibilities. I plan on practicing being aware of normative narratives that are problematic as well as ways of disrupting them. It is crucial for students to embark on a variety of different hands-on learning experiences where they will take control of their learning and I as the educator will be there as a guide. 

References

Orr, D. W. (2011). What is Education For? (1990). In Hope is an Imperative (pp. 237-245). Island Press, Washington, DC.

Vaught, C. (2017). Inclusivity is Not a Guessing Game. Rethinking Schools.