When it comes to technology, I spend more time on my phone than I would like to admit.  It is always shocking to receive the weekly screen time report that tells you how much of your time has been used up on technology.

A young child shows a shocked expression while using a laptop in a dark room, highlighting the impact of technology on youth.
I mostly use my phone for social interaction, Facebook, and quick access to the internet/Google. I find that texts and notifications on my phone are my biggest distraction. After looking at a text and replying, I find myself scrolling Facebook reels while I wait for the person to reply. Long after the conversation is over, I find myself still scrolling and before I know it, I have lost 10-20 minutes of my life that I will never get back.

When doing schoolwork on my computer, I find I can easily get off task if my phone is nearby. One thing that I find helps me stay on task is setting a timer on my phone using the iPhone Clock App.

A phone with a black and white 25-minute timer to study with the pomodoro method on a blurry background. Perfect for students planning their time studying, doing homework, being productive.

Here are step-by-step instructions on How to Set a Timer on The iPhone Clock App. When doing schoolwork, I will set a timer for 30 minutes and work for that full 30 minutes. If a text comes in during that 30 minutes or a notification, I will ignore it and open it when my timer goes off. Setting a timer, helps me stay focused and increases my productivity as well since I try and finish my assignment before the timer goes off. I usually take a quick break at 30 minutes and then start another timer to continue my work. Here is an article explaining the benefits of setting a timer for your daily tasks, 6 Ways in Which Setting a Timer Can Boost Your Productivity  

What are some ways that help you stay on task?