Final Reflection

Many moments throughout my field placement changed my perspective and solidified that I am where I’m supposed to be. I was able to see education from a different perspective, which was important in my journey from high school student to pre-service teacher. Fieldwork was essential to connect what we learned in lecture to the world and see it in action. All of the weekly lessons worked together to examine the different parts of the school system. Together they create the school system. For the first three weeks, we looked at the important people within the school system, which is everyone! Without students, school staff, parents, and community members, the schools would not be successful or even happen for that matter. Next, we looked at the difference and diversity, curriculum, and technology. These are all critical elements in the schooling system to make school a safe and valuable learning environment. All of these pieces were important to focus on to understand the school system as a whole and learning what is involved in my journey to becoming a teacher. Teaching a mini-lesson for the grade eight class last week is something I will keep dear in my heart. I was nervous at the start, but a few slides into the lesson, I knew that I am where I’m meant to be. When Mr. B, a substitute teacher, “gave me a handshake and said to me that this topic is a hard one to cover and that I did a good job,” it meant so much to me. He made me feel respected, and he treated me like an equal, which I didn’t expect, but I really appreciated it.

“gave me a handshake and said to me that this topic is a hard one to cover and that I did a good job,”

Week Seven

I was so grateful to have the opportunity to work with the grade two class this semester as well as the grade eight class I was placed in. I loved working with both of these classes for different reasons. The grade two class was such a busy environment, and the successes I saw within that class made me so proud and excited to be a part of that. “I worked with a student who has come so far in math. When I started my field placement, he was overwhelmed by math and had trouble writing his numbers correctly. I was blown away with the understanding he showed today and how fast he was able to do his work.” The success of this student had me ecstatic for the rest of the day. I was so impressed with how far he had come. I love the curiosity of young minds that I saw in the grade two-room, and the energy the students have. The grade eight-room also holds a special place in my heart. I love how the students are beginning to think critically, and I love their sassy personalities. This age of students is hilarious, and you can create powerful connections.

“I worked with a student who has come so far in math. When I started my field placement, he was overwhelmed by math and had trouble writing his numbers correctly. I was blown away with the understanding he showed today and how fast he was able to do his work.”

Week Six

Many times during fieldwork, my perspective changed. The most significant change occurred after I talked to my friend M about diversity in the school. After our conversation, I couldn’t write my blog post. My mind was blown, and for days, every spare moment I had, I was thinking about our conversation. “This conversation for me was so eye-opening. I learned so much about how she feels and is affected in ways I can never truly understand. Her comment about how she would feel like she was put in the spotlight should the school have that conversation with the students really opened my eyes because I wasn’t thinking about it that way. I didn’t think of how those talks may make her feel singled out, and I am so glad she was willing to answer my questions and change my perspective.” While I was so concerned with how there should be justice for the racism she sees from her class, I forgot to think about what her feelings would be. I hope to carry this feeling with me for as long as I teach, and never lose sight of the students that I aim to help. Observing the grade two-room and seeing how R’s needs are met was also a valuable learning experience. I have never been in a classroom before, where I was able to see how to meet the needs of a child with non-verbal autism. This was another eye-opening experience for me. As I move forward in this journey, I need to learn more about inclusive education and how to achieve equity in the classroom. I need to learn how to make assignments and teachings that give every student equitable standing in the classroom. I aspire to inspire my students, and I want to make lessons engaging. I hope my lessons can be so much fun that students don’t realize they are learning. I want to make sure that I do no silence any perspective or voice, and think about who I have included. I wonder what resources I can find that will help me to achieve my goals, and look forward to making connections in this profession with people who share values with me.

“This conversation for me was so eye-opening. I learned so much about how she feels and is affected in ways I can never truly understand. Her comment about how she would feel like she was put in the spotlight should the school have that conversation with the students really opened my eyes because I wasn’t thinking about it that way. I didn’t think of how those talks may make her feel singled out, and I am so glad she was willing to answer my questions and change my perspective.”

Week Five