Why I Aspire to Teach

I want students to feel inspired like I did when I was in school. I hope each day they are excited to come to school. I want students to feel heard and respected. I want to create connections like my high school teachers did with me.

Mrs. S had such an impact on my class and I. We created Finland in our grade 11 ELA classroom together. We acted out Macbeth and plotlines of stories, instead of just doing paper assignments about them. We were able to show our learning in different ways that had me looking forward to class each day. Mrs. S moved away for our grade 12 year, but we asked her back as our guest speaker for graduation. She went through each student individually and talked about our strengths. She ended her speech with “I hope you know how much you all mean to me, and how hard it was for me to leave you. One of the great regrets of my career will always be that I wasn’t able to be a part of your grade 12 year. I want to thank you for inviting me here tonight, being so much fun in the classroom, and for letting me visit Finland in my career. I love you, I’m proud of you, and I’ll always be watching and listening to see what your bright futures hold”

I hope to one day be like Mrs. S.

Everybody needs a Mrs. S.