Queer and the Curriculum

This week I read three different readings that all shared a perspective on the use of the word queer and sexual identity. Queer sexual identity marking is both similar to and distinct from other forms of sexuality marking because of many reasons. One of the main differences is that often “heterosexual marking behaviours are motivated from an individuals desire to express that they are not gay” whereas queer identity markers are expressing they are queer, not that they are not straight (“As a Sort of Blanket Term”, 1339). Another way that they are different is that people are more accepting of people with a heterosexual identity than people with queer sexual identity markings. The reading also mentioned that their “findings support the notion that queer was used to describe sexual and gender identity” where as heterosexuality describes only a persons sexual identity, Any form of sexuality marking is similar because it does define a persons sexual identity.

Integrating queerness in the classroom has always been a controversial topic for me. Because I believe in the Bible, I find it hard to understand and accept queer sexual identities and believe it is not something to be brought into the classroom. I want my classroom to be a safe and inclusive environment, but I also need to stay true to my beliefs. I will encourage my students to not be judging of one another, to be caring and loving towards each other regardless of sexual identity. I will discourage any negative language using words like “gay” or “no homo” in the same way I would discourage swearing. I do not want to teach about sexual identities because I feel the classroom is not the right place for it, it is more of a personal matter. I find it hard to respond to this question as it is still something I am thinking about and trying to figure out how to still have an inclusive and safe classroom without compromising my beliefs.

The teacher implications for allyship would be similar to my response above. This is still something I am thinking about and find hard to respond to. I would like for the school to remain impartial to this topic (although I know that only representing heterosexual identities is technically biased in and of itself). I am interested to read other responses on this topic and learn more about what other people think.

One thought on “Queer and the Curriculum

1. Hi Brooklyn,

I really enjoyed reading your blog post as you have taken a different side to things and made some comments that I have never considered. When you mention the difference between heterosexual and queer marking in terms of how accepting people are of these forms of marking, this is something that I did not think about, even though it is very true. I definitely agree with all of your other similarities and differences in terms of sexuality marking as well.

You mention that you “believe it is not something to be brought into the classroom,” but you still mention minor ways of incorporating it into the classroom, so I wonder how you would approach issues regarding this topic, being that you also said you do not want to teach about this topic, so I believe this could result in many forms of oppression due to students lack of knowledge. I do not wish to discourage your beliefs in any way, but I do see this as being something that would be difficult for you in a classroom setting, and ignoring this topic could make certain students feel uncomfortable.

I think it is good that you are still thinking deeply about this topic and how to respond to questions like this, being that it does conflict with your beliefs. I find it interesting when you mention that you find this topic hard to understand since I also found it hard to understand at one point in my life, but as I have continued building my knowledge, it has become easier to understand. Overall, I can tell that even though you do have this belief, you are still wanting to make your classroom inclusive, but this might have to involve stepping over some of your boundaries!