Technologies Role in Life and School

I’ve got a secret to tell you, lean in, now listen closely….

Ah never mind you already know what I am about to say, technology plays a critical role in all areas of our lives. I have yet to meet a person who does not live life without using some sort of modern technology whether it be a cell phone, computer, laptop, iPad, Xbox, playstation. Technology has flooded all areas of our lives and sometimes it can be challenging to filter what is good technology and what is bad technology.

It blew my mind in the lecture last week that there is a Plug-In I can download for chrome to categorize all of my tabs that I have open, between my phone, iPad and computer I probabaly have close to 600 tabs open right now. Now that is definitely good tech! What are they? I couldn’t even tell you but I can tell you that I am going to use them again (I am definitely not going to use them again). It’s like the boxes we get when we buy a new phone or receive a package, you never know when you’re going to use them.

Technology that I definitely use everyday is TikTok, Instagram and Facebook which I would classify a lot of it as bad technology for me. It consumes me and I sometimes spend hours on it every single day. I find some good in TikTok because there is a lot of information is educational on my FYP but it is interesting how little of the information I retain. I think it is so much information all at once and it switches up so fast it’s hard for my little memory centre to keep up.

In my educational pursuits the technology I have found to be most useful is to have the whole Apple Ecosystem. It allows me to share everything across platforms so fluidly it is hard to imagine what I was using before — which was pen and paper. I prioritized getting this technology in the last five years and I am extremely thankful for it.

Here is link to Apple on the great Tech they have, students get a discount on everything! http://Apple.com

Here is a link to balancing technology usage:  https://www.explorelearning.com/resources/insights/balancing-tech-use