Uncategorized

Self Story 3: The Gift of Giving

I woke up with the sun beaming through my window directly into my sleepy eyes, “wake up” my mom said. I jumped up with excitement, put on my black shorts with my sky blue t-shirt, and raced to her room so she could put bouncy curls in my hair. It was take you kid to work day, my mom is an elementary school principal and I from a very young age I wanted to be just like her. We were just about to leave the house and my mom had asked if I put the clothes I had grown out of and a few of my favourite books into the huge black garbage bag she had laid on top of my pink comforter that morning. I growed and said no as I walked up the stairs, getting angry with her for taking my clothes away even though they did not fit.  

Finally we arrived at her school, I bolted to her office, threw the bag in the middle of her floor and went straight to the cabinet where she kept the “candy bin” before she caught up to me. As the footsteps approached I tucked my evidence deep inside my pocket and layed out everything from the bag out nicely… As I was patiently waiting three girls who looked to be sisters came bursting into the office with my mom not far behind, the excitement on their faces caught me off guard. My mom introduced them as her “special kiddos”, not that she played favorites but I could see the love she had for them as the girls held up the clothes to each other and decided who got what. 

It was such a pure moment that I wish I was old enough to understand why their smiles were so big but I was too young at the time.  I just thought they were sharing but as I got older and my mom continued to do the same thing each year I finally asked the question “Why do you keep giving away my clothes?” and her answer to that question was my realization. I had never thought of my clothes in a way that could help other girls who did not share my privilege. I felt an amazing sense of fulfillment, and even though I had only witnessed it once, the reflection upon the story brings a smile to my face.

I aspire to be a teacher for our future leaders