ECS 101 Autobiography

A common misconception when it comes to teaching is that it is only at 8-3:30 job with summers off. I know first hand that this is not true. My mother, Lori Daelick, arrives home from work at 6 pm most nights and after our family time she will continue working into the late evening. Needless to say, I am not entering this profession thinking it will be easy. I am choosing to be a teacher because I have spent a lifetime seeing how passion matched with hard work can leave a lasting impact on kids and how living a life of purpose can fill you beyond measure. 

From a young girl, I had two passions: basketball and playing teacher, aspiring to be just like my mom.  Many days started and ended with shooting hoops and then playing school. There was something about the sound of being the next Miss Daelick that I loved. I would often emulate the characteristics of my favourite teachers, and every once in awhile, a couple of my not so favourite ones as well. From the start, being a teacher was part of me. However, over time my mindset shifted from chasing the career I always dreamed of, to going after the almighty dollar. My dream of impacting lives was shadowed by the potential earnings I saw in a career in business. After being accepted into the Faculty of Business, I continued to be drawn to the teachers on Instagram, rather than researching the stream of business that would direct my career. 

Before I knew it, Covid-19 hit and rocked my world. Everything slowed down and I was left with time; time to play out how I truly wanted my life to go. I replaced my daily basketball practices with doing some soul searching. I found myself drifting to my favourite childhood memories of reading to my mom’s students or decorating her next seasonal display!  In this time of isolation, I realized teaching is within me and making a difference is far more valuable than making a six-figure salary. I made a quick career path switch, celebrated with hitting up the teacher store to start my collection and I haven’t looked back since! I can barely wait to create a welcoming, warm and engaging environment for my future students to thrive within.

With time came reflection, thinking about the type of teacher I wanted to be.  I came to realize that I could always tell the difference between a teacher who thought of the profession as a job and those who took it on as a passion. It became clear the best teachers built relationships with their class and got kids involved in the learning. I aspire to be like the educators who truly cared for their students, as well as adapted how they taught to allow each child equal opportunities for success. Two teachers from my Jack Mackenzie elementary experience will forever stick out to me. These teachers demonstrated that not all learning had to be completed from a desk. They met every day with joy and they made each of us feel like their favourite. Their influence will be carried into my classroom. 

As I moved into my high-school years at Campbell Collegiate my basketball coach and English teacher, Mr. Anderson had a major impact on not only my career choice but also on my life.  He will always remain one of my biggest role models as he helped guide me at a time when I didn’t know who I was. During my grade 10 year I battled with mental health issues. I was diagnosed with anxiety and ADD. This caused many low points in my life. Yet, Mr. Anderson was always there as the calm in my storm. It didn’t have to be grand gestures, rather just simple check-ins that made me realize he genuinely had my best interest in mind. Even though I did not always appreciate his help, looking back at it, he was relentless about caring which became crucial to my success on and off the court. Mr. Anderson was my guide when I did not know how to help myself. Because of him, I understand the mark an educator leaves can go far beyond the walls of a classroom. This became more than clear as he showed up at my Covid-19 Family Graduation ceremony. I will never forget the moment I told him I was going to be a teacher. I want to be a ‘Mr. Anderson’ in the lives of many kids who need another adult to show they care! 

A leadership mindset has been deeply ingrained in me from my family. One of my favourite quotes is “Dress for the job you want and not the job you have” this is something that was passed down from my grandpa, to my mom, to me. While reading and discussing the ‘STF Code of Ethics’ I was reminded of this quote. I believe I need to place myself into the role of an educator as I train for this career. In this discussion, my mindset pivoted. I went from seeing myself as ‘just’ a teenager to seeing myself as a professional. My weekend shopping trip was done through the lens of a teacher.  I don’t want a ‘job’ in education, I want to live my life inspiring my kids to be their best. This means I need to take the next four years very seriously. I intend to be supportive and comforting in every way possible while still relaying the information in a way that makes it easy for all kids to succeed. My personal experiences and upbringing have made me into the person I am today and have helped me visualize the educator I strive to be. With a mindset of purpose over paycheck and a clear vision where I came from and what I want to achieve, I am ready to go all-in over the next four years and beyond; after all this profession is part of who I am!