Homemade Spaghetti Sauce with Ground Beef

Before

The first meal I decided to make for myself was spaghetti and meat sauce.  Like I explained in a previous post I wanted to start out nice and easy. I’m not a big fan of tomatoes or peppers so I took those ingredients out of the Homemade Spaghetti Sauce with Ground Beef.  I also made quite a bit so I would be able to have this meal for left overs, and to be able to freeze it for the future. This is a meal that is easy, and you can’t really go wrong with Spaghetti. I’ve never made a spaghetti sauce before so I was excited to add that into my own cookbook.

During

To begin I got all the ingredients ready on the table and started going to work. The first thing I did was start making the sauce. To do this I got the ground beef and broke it up and added the onion and garlic, I also added a bit of salt and pepper well it cooked on medium. I had to facetime my mom a few times to make sure I wasn’t messing up. As a colourblind person I struggled with seeing it turn brown. I also wasn’t exactly sure what the recipe was trying to say when it said “vegetables are tender” so I just assumed it meant when the vegetables are soft. Anyways, well I was waiting on the sauce to be done I stirred it around basically continuously because I did not want it to burn. The next step I took was putting the tomato sauce and tomato paste in a pan and started letting it cook. As I stirred I added the oregano, basil and salt. I let this cook for about 30 minutes and I stirred every now and then.

As all of this was going on I was also making the spaghetti which was pretty simple. I let the water start boiling then I added butter, salt and the spaghetti. Well that was cooking I gave it a few stirs. When it was ready I drained the water out and put a teaspoon of butter in. After this I made myself a plate and enjoyed.

After

Now that I have finished making this meal, I can say it went pretty well. This definitely isn’t the best spaghetti sauce I have had but it was still good. It was quite the experience to be able to do this for the first time. I’m glad I started with something simple to build up my confidence for the next meal. At this point I’m not too sure what to do, so if you have any suggestions please comment below your recommendations. The recipe I made is below.

Ingredients (Sauce)

1 pound ground beef

1 medium onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce

1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

2 teaspoons dried oregano

2 teaspoons dried basil

1 teaspoon salt

1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Ingredients (Spaghetti)

Water

Spaghetti

Pinch of salt

2 teaspoons of butter

Directions for Sauce

1. Gather all ingredients.
  2. Combine ground beef, onion, and garlic in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until meat is browned and crumbly and vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain grease.
  3. Stir tomato sauce, and tomato paste into the pan. Season with oregano, basil, and salt. Simmer spaghetti sauce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Serve hot and enjoy!

Directions for Spaghetti

1. Boil water in pot. Well the water is boiling add butter, a pinch of salt, and spaghetti
  2. Turn water to medium heat (cook for 15-20 min). Stir occasionally.
  3. Drain pasta and add teaspoon of butter

2 thoughts on “Homemade Spaghetti Sauce with Ground Beef

1. Hi Carson, glad to see you enjoyed the dish, can’t go wrong with some good spaghetti. Making sauce can be difficult so it’s good to hear it went well for you. I’m probably not the best for suggestions, but I can’t wait to hear about your next meal.

2. Hey Carson, glad this all worked out well! I know it seems easy, but that’s good as you’ll always have it in your back pocket if you need to cook something. Keep trying new things and getting out of your comfort zone. Something I would recommend is a chicken breast, something marinated. It’s a pretty easy prep and the flavours can be whatever you want to put in the marinade! That with some side dishes liked mashed potatoes is an easy and delicious meal. I look forward to your next meal!