Just another Education Sites site

Takeoff

This week I tried learning from a new website called Booster Uke. This is definitely not a website to try if it your first time learning the instrument, you need to have some basic knowledge of the ukulele before you begin. This is a premium program that offers 10 lessons with access to a video and interactive sheet music for each lesson. I tried the free trial, which gave me access to one of their lessons at random. The lesson I was able to try was lesson 5, so that may be why I thought that you need prior knowledge of how to play the instrument before using this website.

The person instructing the video did not do a very good job, just basically explained the cords and started playing a song at a fast pace that was extremely hard to keep up to.  He didn’t teach me how to do the weird strumming pattern he was doing. So, I think the instructional video did not help me at all. The interactive sheet music on the other hand was better. I thought it was better then 8notes sheet music. It had the guy playing the song with lyrics instead of just a beat to play to. The only thing was that, sometimes the music did not match the sheet music, which threw me for a loop.

BoosterUke Lesson (youtube.com)

I would not recommend this website, especially for a beginner. This website would be good if you already knew how to play the ukulele and were looking for new challenging songs and strumming patterns.

1 Comment

1. Everett Stone

While its a shame that the video was not super useful, at least the sheet music compensated. My only experience in learning an instrument was when I was a child learning piano and ‘learning’ consisted of memorizing songs rather than learning how to read sheet music so the ability to read sheet music quickly always amazes me. The disclaimer of “not for beginners” is also appreciated. Hope your future weeks of learning go well!