My Philosophy of Education

My Philosophy of Education

My philosophy of education as an English teacher is to present opportunities to students to find their voice through literary texts that target their interests. School is as much an opportunity to learn new knowledge as it is a way to learn about oneself. Once students are taken by an interest, I believe they will unconsciously set learning goals for themselves that will be shown in the quality of their future works. Through this approach, I believe I am creating an environment that encourages preparation for future learning (PFL), instead of limiting student interests and ways of knowing through sequestered problem solving (SPS). Focusing on allowing students to uncover their voices gives meaning to their personal stories and allows them to better understand where their interests lie within the classroom to allow for future learning outside of the classroom. However, not all students love to write and find their voice, but the usefulness of my philosophy is to have students engage with themselves in relation to the literary material rather than the literary material alone. The efficacy of my philosophy of education is supported by my philosophy of assessment through the individualized engagement and feedback that aims to reinforce a student’s pursuit of finding their voice and further exploring their interests inside and out of the classroom. Through my feedback and engagement with the students, I can help them find new paths of engagement based on their interests; encourage them to tell their personal stories so they may better connect with the texts being studied; and even recommend texts or certain materials that I believe the student would enjoy and find satisfaction through engagement. My encouragement of students to share their personal stories is also to build a community of engagement in the classroom where everyone’s stories can influence our worldviews and inform us on how to better interact with one another. Students in this sense can become more comfortable with themselves and how they present themselves to their classmates. It is through the intertwining of these philosophies that shapes how I assess my students in a formative and summative manner.