Field Story Final Reflection

I think is an amazing opportunity to be in a school for my first year of education, this is a program you have to be sure you love. Children are not always easy to work with and if you do not spend some time in a classroom then one might be working towards the wrong degree. This experience effected my journey to becoming a teacher because I was never in a classroom and never grew up in an area where there were many people who live below the poverty line and the school, I was in had many students who could not even afford to bring lunch every day. I realized that teachers are not just teachers, they are so much more than just an educator. The teachers at Sacred Heart Community School are educators, counselors for parents and students, they are cooks and servers, and most importantly they are usually the most consistent support the children have in their lives. I learned that when I become a teacher, I will have to be all of those things and more but when you love your job it is something you just do to help the students in your classroom and school. I need to learn more about how to deal with a classroom when the students do not want to listen, when they have learning disabilities, and simply what to do when children are so far behind, they cannot grasp the concept being taught but they so not have a TA to help them one on one. There are so many things I now have a teacher’s perspective on instead of a student’s and I never paid attention to how my teachers I had in school dealt with all these obstacles. One major question I have as a teacher is what resources do you have in a school to help you overcome these obstacles in a classroom? What types of support do new teachers have when they are dealing with new obstacles in a classroom?

I touched on interconnectedness a bit already with teachers playing multiple roles in a school and a student’s life. The interconnectedness of all the topics we covered in this class all prepare you for being in a classroom, we started the beginning of the year talking about the position of power as a teacher and our environment we put students in. The environment needs to be the best for the students, as a teacher we need to know who our students are and how they learn but they also need to know who we are as teachers to build a relationship. Knowing your students and growing a relationship with builds on how you might teach because all students learn differently and this is part of the inclusive education we learned about. Teaching inclusively in a classroom does not mean it just stops once you leave the classroom but this needs to continue through the school with gender, sexuality, religious, and cultural diversity. Inclusive education is not just an outcome to be taught but a subject to be taught throughout school. Then we covered how teachers build their knowledge and that is usually through other educators or technology. Technology plays a huge part in classrooms to teach, learn, practice, and test our knowledge along with the students so technology is a huge tool for teachers.